anyone avoid headstart for judgemental reasons?

It would've been helpful to my kids and family but it seemed so ghetto and awful I decided to skip with all 3 kids. I heard things about social workers and public health nurses on site being bitches too... and I decided I wanted no part in that. We did tour though and the kids were dirty, stinky, inappropriately dressed, eating trashy food for snacks, and so on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have to laugh at this, even though I know it wasnt meant to be funny. I thought I was the only one that felt like that...LOL.....I avoided the prek/headstart thing because I felt that they were too over involved in the lives of the students. I know there are many families that want that and need that, but I dont. I dont want the school asking me for his dental records, doing home visits, bringing in doctors and dentists to evaluate them during school, letting them play outside when it was 32 degrees, and just generally having to abide by too many state standards. With private church preschools, you get a totally different scenario. Its not state funded so they make their own rules when it comes to playing outside or whatever. You also are dealing with families that have more money. I dont care if my child goes to school with poor or rich students or something in between, but where the low income is..the state is. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• the headstart program where we live is pretty trashy as well so I chose not to put my daughter in it. I'm looking into in home preschools to avoid the overcrowding and garbage food they give kids.. My daughter doesn't really need preschool I just wanted her to go for the interaction aspect. The last thing I want is the people running it acting grumpy and acting like they are running a free daycare. ( I'm also guilty of looking at what the other kids are like dirty,stinky,ect... can't help it.)
    Anonymous

• our headstart profgram is very nice.. it is also free to families that make under $37.9k a year.. we qualified but decided to NOT do it ebcuase of the bussing issue... our 3 year old woudl be going to a school over 25 mins away, when ther are atleast 10 other schools closer..

they serve a balanced lunch here too....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 3:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I decided not to put my daughter in the headstart program, for a couple of different reasons. First of all, I didn't like the idea of putting her on a bus that was taking her a half hour away. Second, because I didn't think it would work out very well with a teacher coming to my house to teach her, because my house is very small, and I thought my younger daughter may cause too many distractions. Third, is because the main reason I want to put her in pre-k is for socialization.How can she really get that if she's only going to the school once a week, and the teacher coming to our house once a week? It didn't seem very logical to me.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I've been in a head start room while working a special ed preschool (the integrated for a short time each week) and it was very nice. The children were not dirty or poorly dressed, but it was in a very nice area. My daughter goes to a special education preschool, it is very nice and provides the services she needs.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was in headstart as a kid and they were very mean and degrading to me and i swear my social problems are because of the rejection I felt by teachers and other kids.

flash forward to present day...I live near a reservation...it is 30 miles north.. they don't have openings for kids from this town....so 30 miles south the headstart says we have to go to the tribal based headstart.....neither town wants kids from this town!!!
    also the director of the tribal headstart is my ex's girlfriend and really don't want to deal with her.
    Head start is really a babysitter anyway...a break the parents want from their kid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Wow you all are a bunch of JUDGEMENTAL a**holes. Get over yourselves.
    aaaahhhhh

Answer by aaaahhhhh at 4:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2009