Activia ?

My daughter is almost 5 and always has a hard time when she goes .,. She doesn't really feel the urge I guess cause she only poops maybe every three days.... do you think it would be safe to try and give her something like activia to regulate should I only give her half? that's what I was thinking any advice on other stuff to try would be a big help she takes vitamins I cut those back from 2 to 1 a day and she eats pretty healthy. ( oh and I've tried adding more fruit and juice.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son didn't feel the urge until the last minute, and by that point he was severely backed-up. This all happened because he started with-holding his poo for a month straight, causing such an obstruction that it stretched out the muscles in his colon or rectum (can't remember exactly which). He was admitted to the ER for the night and had 4 enemas along with magnesium citrate to help it move through. The doctor said those muscles needed time to shrink back down to normal size. So in the meantime, we gave him Miralax just to keep the poo soft so it wouldn't hurt coming out (that was his fear). It was tasteless and didn't cause cramping.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I hate that stuff. It taste terrible to me. But, that's just me. Are you giving her enough water? Give her more fruits to eat. Maybe this will help. Next time you see her doctor, ask him.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• She drinks plenty of water and I don't let her have soda or anything. Could it be something more serious? like a bowel problem? The doctors have told me everything seems fine and that she's holding it kind of on purpose... when I talk to her about she just doesn't feel like she has to go till she really really has to go.
    Anonymous

• Is she going through that stage where she holds it? If so, talk to her how important it is to go when she feels that feeling. If the doctor's aren't worried. Then, maybe she's ok. I don't know. maybe sitting her on the potty every two hours and say...try for me...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• thank you guys!
    Anonymous