Is this healthy for him?

I am a little concerned for my son. I would like some advice and please be nice b/c this is worrying me and my hubby. We are @ a lose of what to do and how to proceed.

My son is 5 yrs. old and has been potty trained since after his 3rd b-day. He was a reluctant potty going b/c he just seemed to be "happy" with sitting in his used pullups. But he trained and every thing was fine. I would occasionally find him playing w/ the pull ups that were left over from using them. Shortly after we had our second son and the "diaper" problem would come and go. Well he stopped playing w/ them altogether until last week. I found a worn swim diaper for my 2 yr old in his closet hamper. I asked him and he wouldn't talk to me. Eventually I got it out of him and he said that he thought it was funny to do. he wanted to make people laugh. I explained that was not funny and not to do it again. The next day I found him holding one and

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• he replyied that he was just looking @ it. He was doing nothing w/ it. Well later that day I found in the trash 8 worn and peed in swim diapers. He refused to talk to me! Refused to tell me why. Finally Daddy found out and they had it out and my son said that he misses wearing them but doesn't want to wear them. He has no problem or medical issues with using the toilet. We thought that we had made ourselves clear that this was not good behavior for a 5 yr old. He agreed. but then just yesterday he was playing w/ them and hiding them from use again!! He has just been lying about it and it pains me to know that he's embaressed and doesn't want to do this but "his head tells him to go get a diaper". He has always loved saying the word diaper which has always annoyed me. I'm at a lose of what to do and should to his doctor. Ladies please help us to try to understand my son. All advice is welcome. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• I would have him evaluated by a child counselor and see if there is a mental or emotional issue that can be worked out with play therapy. I really don't know what else to tell you, I am sorry to not be able to help more. You could go with the whole germ thing, there are lots of disgusting things in urine and feces. Best of luck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• When my younger son was born, and my older son was already potty trained, I kept reinforcing how diapers are for babies not big boys! I also let my older son help me get the BABY a diaper, and overemphasized how stinky diapers are, etc... You know "child psychology 101"

I basically made it so the idea of having to wear a diaper was a horrible thing. Of course I stopped that practice when my younger son was old enough to understand what I was saying, but to a degree still used it when I was potty training him!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I knew a grown man who had this issue as a child. It was never addressed and as an adult he still had issues. So, I would definately bring it up with his doctor and see if you can get him into a child psychologist to find out what is going on. The man I knew really could not explain WHY he had this compulsion, he just did. He didn't remember anything traumatic to cause it, no discernable reason why he liked it, but he was truly obsessive about it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I feel that I have failed my son in some way... He says that he doesn't want to do this but an inner voice tells him to do so. Great....
    Anonymous

• YOU did NOT fail him. He may have a compulsion of some sort due to a chemical imbalance or who knows, but it is NOT your fault. That is the first thing you have to accept. When I first started taking my dd to therapy for her issues, we had a really bad day and I BEGGED the psych to please tell me what I needed to do differently, how I had screwed up my kid. They told me flat out, I needed to STOP blaming myself, that this is actually a self centered viewpoint and I no longer had the luxury of self pity. I had to pull myself out of that bad place and accept that my dd had issues and work from there. So please do NOT blame yourself.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2009