if my son go and hides in corners or behind things to go potty in his diaper do i start to potty train him now?? he is on 17months old

my son for the past month hides to go potty in his diaper and he is only 17 months old i dnt know how to potty train any tips would be good please

mamak86

Asked by mamak86 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's still young.
    Why the rush?
    He will show you signs when he's ready.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, now is the perfect time to potty train! I'm not for holding off because they think it's easier to use the diaper and just get used to going in their diaper the longer you let them go. I would start off just putting him on the potty and see if he gets it. Take him about every 30 min. Start putting his underwear underneath the diaper so he can feel when he's wet and eventually I would just take the diaper away. He might have a few accidents at first, but he wont like messing up his clothes all the time and learn to use the toilet.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I agree, I started sitting my DD on the potty at 11 months, but I didnt force her or push her to use it. She basically potty trained her self, and now she is 20 months and goes on the potty on her own all the time
    Anonymous

• He is ready to potty.Evidently he doesn't like it in his diaper.You are not rushing him if he's showing signs of wanting to potty.He just may be developing earlier than some kids in this area.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think that's a great sign. does he show other signs? It doesn't hurt to try. if he doesn't take to it right away, you can back off and try again late. No harm in getting a potty and introducing it to him.
    Anonymous