Why am i wrong for not wanting Athiest near my daughter

I was on facebook and seen my nephew in law on there. On his religion status; he said he is an Atheist. I do not want him near my daughter; now why I am wrong. How did he think he got on this earth with GOD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its wrong because everyone has different views and its not right to out cast someone because they dont agree with you. Its also not what god wants...he doesnt judge so what give you the right to?
    Anonymous

• You are wrong because you are letting his religious believes get in the way of what may be a very nice person. Not everyone believes the same way as you and you could be letting your child miss out of a lot. You are teaching your child to judge others by religion or lack of religion. You would want your children to treat others aas you would want them treated. Would you want your child ignored because of your religion,believes, faith, etc?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Wow...yeah. Um.

I'm an atheist. Am I bad or wrong or evil? Don't just someone by ONE ASPECT of their lives. I could say you're a brainwashed idiot because you're a Christian, but I'm not going to do that, am I? Because I look at people as people, not by what their religion (or lack thereof) is.

It's not like the guy is going to try and convert her or anything, jeez.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• An atheist being NEAR your daughter is harmless. An atheist who SPEAKS his beliefs to her and belittles her's is not good. It isn't like him being around is going to harm her, but religion should be kept out of conversations.
    Anonymous

• I am a Christian and I teach my son about God; I do not feel that I need to shelter him from people just because they do not believe the same as we do. In fact, I encourage it. I feel secure enough in my own religion and the way that I raise him that he won't be influenced just by being around someone. jmo
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 4:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• caitxrawks, when did you become an atheist? Just wondering. Before, you were an agnostic.
    Anonymous

• Well to be quite honest I don't want certain people that follow certain religions near my son because they might try to fill his head with things I don't believe in. Like him going to hell for masturbating, having sex before marriage or worse, for being gay.
    Anonymous

• Agree with PPs and plus, unless you keep her in the house and homeschool her, she will be "exposed" to a lot of different people and they will have different religious views. You don't want to raise her thinking the world is one way, and then setting her up for a shock when she sees it's quite another. Not that you shouldn't teach her the way the world SHOULD be, but you need to keep everything in context
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Exactly, anon. I have die-hard Christian friends, pagan friends, a few Muslim friends, and many agnostic/atheist friends. Our beliefs don't get in the way of our friendships because we don't discuss them and try to convert each other. That's just rude.

I guarantee you there are other people in your life that are atheist, OP. You just aren't aware of what they believe.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• An atheist is just someone who questions their existence and looks had the hard scientific evidence. You have to admit that the bible is left to interpretation most of the time and parts of it are inconsistent with what is scientifically proven. You have to have faith to be a Christian. Anon 4:14 is right...God wouldn't want you to cast someone out just because of their beliefs. I myself have faith in Jesus that's why I choose to be a Christian, but if listen to what an atheist has to say, they give some very valid points and their belief is somewhat understandable because nobody really KNOWS for sure. Your cousin questions things and doesn't want to follow something blindly that doesn't mean that he is evil or will be mean to your daughter.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2009