• In the Spotlight:

breastmilk to formula

My baby is 2 months old and I have been breastfeeding ever sonce she was born, I had to supplement with formula and now I think my milk has dried up. Is transitioning away from breastfeeding really hard or will she adapt to the change ?

peachfuzz

Asked by peachfuzz at 4:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 1 ff child and am currently bf my baby. My ff fed baby was bf and I switched at 4mts when my milk dried up. He did have a hard time with formula untill we found the brand/type that worked for him.
    jztmelif

Answer by jztmelif at 7:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• no way to tell. Some kids take to it and some kids fight it tooth and nail! My daughter went back and forth between breast and bottle and between breastmilk and formula with no cares. Some kids are not so nice.
    Anonymous

• What do you mean is it really hard? Breastfeeding is a health issue that has lifelong health consequences. Breastmilk is a living fluid with white blood cells and hundreds of things formula doesn't have. It changes compostition as your baby grows.

Babies do grow on formula. Formula is altered cows milk and cows are good at growing. Humans need human milk because the main developmental task during the first year is brain development. Cows and soy beans aren't too smart. Formula companies started putting 2 things in formula to trick people into thinking it was as good as breastmilk. It turns out there are problems with those additives and formula without the additives is safer.

Millions of babies die every year because they aren't breastfed. Will your baby die from an infection, cancer, asthma, or other diease? Is it worth the risk?

You can relactate and start breastfeeding again.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Wow, I love the scare factor there. Does breastfeeding prevent asthma? the research I have seen says no. Does breastfeeding prevent cancer in your child? I've seen no evidence. It does reduce your chance of getting breast cancer, though. yes breast is best and it has great benefits. But if you choose to formula feed your child is not going to die some horrible death. And if you choose to try to keep breastfeeding, that's a great option too.
    Anonymous

• My kids got the dry heaves when I attempted formula on them. Why do you want to stop nursing?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 6:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Find a LC to help you plan, and work on your milk supply. There are ways to get off formula, you just have to decide that's what you want to do. (btw, have you ever tasted formula?)
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 6:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Its not all or nothing and honestly supplimenting did lower milk supply and most likely created a preference for the faster flow of the bottle, BUT if you want to still Bf you can AND you can get your supply back. Come to the group Breastfeeding moms and check out this
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/1153945/HOW_TO_INCREASE_SUPPLY
    also signs of low milk supply
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/8213754/SIGNS_OF_A_LOW_MILK_SUPPLY
    If you want to wean its up to you..personally I think the ingredients and risks of formula use alone...especially with NO breastmilk at all are too high for me, no its not poison but its got some seriously nasty ingredients and unlike what a PP said yeah theres proof, scientific proof that formula use increases instances of asthma, allergies, and cancer rates, not to mention diabetes and obesity
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/bfoutcomes.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2009