My kid is allergic to strawberries do you think a strawberry smoothie would make her sick too? She's also allergic to cats, tree nuts, and is lactose intolerant.

Allergies are something all my children have. My daughter, Farrah, is allergic strawberries, tree nuts, cats, and is lactose intolerant. I was wondering if she is allergic to strawberries, would she be allergic to the smoothies too? And ice cream?

teacherandmom4

Asked by teacherandmom4 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes she would. Are you really a teacher?
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Allergic to strawberries means no strawberries in any form. Lactose intolerant- I don't know much about it but know there are lactose free milks.

Answer by Bmat at 5:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yes she would be allergic to that stuff. Unless they used strawberry flavoring and not actual strawberries
    Anonymous

• Considering a strawberry smoothie is comprised of pureed STRAWBERRIES, yes, she WOULD be allergic to it!!!!

Just to clarify, if she is allergic to Tree Nuts, she will ALSO be allergic to peanut butter!!!!!

Just because the item is not in it's original form does not negate the allergic sensitivity. Please have your allergist explain this too you. You could be causing your daughter a whole lot of health problems if you do not understand what happens to the body during an allergic reaction!!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Dh is allergic to strawberries ANYTHING with strawberries or strawberry flavoring makes him sick. Candy, shakes, smoothies, ice cream, ANYTHING. So I wouldn't give her it were I you.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 5:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• you're joking right? If she is allergic to strawberries and lactose intolerant, being that a strawberry smoothie has strawberries and milk in it, it would probably make heer quite sick.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I can't drink milk, but I can' have it in cheese form and ice cream. I just can't drink milk without it coming out of both ends. I would go by the severity of her allergy. Or better yet! CALL THE DOCTOR TO MAKE SURE!!
    Anonymous

• doesnt a smoothie also have milk in it???
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Why would you give her something that she is allergic too? Wow, I am so glad you are not my sons teacher. Also, if she is lactose intolerant why would you give her a smoothie that is made with dairy?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• yes!!! don't even give her anything even artificially flavored, like candy or gum that is strawberry. It may have a small amount of Strawberry oil in it, that could be dangerous. I would stay away from strawberry scented body products as well. I am speaking from experience . My son is allergic to raspberry and even blue raspberry Gatorade gives him a rash.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2009