How do i make the baby cereal ?

What are the measurements for it to make it for my 5 month old (who is almost 6 months) for her first time?! I dont want to put it in the bottle because i want her to get use to me feeding her with a spoon . And everytime i make it, it comes out really soupy like water.. sooo im obviously doing it wrong. And im using formula so whats the best way ?!?

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 5:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies don't need cereal. Bananas are a good first solid followed by sweet potato and avacodo. Each should be given for about a week to make sure there is no reaction. Babies around this age can start feeding themselves organic Cheerio's type cereal.

Then you can start meats that you mash or process. By around 9 months babies start needing more iron.

Cereal is a highly processed food that that came out when babies were started on cereat at a very young age. It is also a way of getting iron in the baby. However, formula now has iron and breastmilk has iron that is in a form that the baby's body can use easily.

I know it can be hard not to use that baby cereal. We have been starting my grandson on solids and it was vary hard for her not to do the cereal. I had to give her a lot of things to read.

There is good info about starting solids at kellymom.com
    It is a breastfeeding site but it would apply to all babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If it is too soupy then just add more cereal until you get the thickness you want. Put the cereal in a bowl first and slowly add formula. If it the first time for cereal you want it pretty thin until your baby gets the hang of it.
    Anonymous

• Yea I agree with that. It doesn't take much formula to mix.You could even add a little baby
    bannanas or even some pear juice for yummy flavors as he gets older.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You can cook up the rice or oatmeal & puree it. I used formula because of the additional nutrients. I would store enough in the refrigerator for the day or two and freeze the rest until it was needed.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2009