Can someone give me some advice about gardening?

I recently bought a potted plant from the supermarket. I contains basil, marigolds & a tomato plant. So I was wondering if I need to fertilize it & if so then with what? Can it all just stay in the pot or do I need to plant it? I am completely clueless.

Marissa823

Asked by Marissa823 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would recommend transplanting it. That tomato plant will overgrow the basil and the marigold and the others will die out. You shouldn't need to fertilize it, you should just be able to get a decent soil mixture if you don't have good soil already. If you keep the marigold near the tomato plant, it will help ward off bugs. The color and the smell are unattractive to most pests. If you have any questions, just let me know.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• well, how big is the pot? if it's ok size you probably could just move the tomato to a different pot (as pp said), and if you want to fertilize, you could either use osmocote when you are planting it (put a scoop into the hole before the plant), or you could use miracle grow (really easy.... just follow the directions on the box). they are both general fertilizers. o and when you are transplanting the tomato plant, bury it down to the first set of leaves. they can grow roots out of their stem so they like that. and use a tomato cage or steak it up so it's not all over the place. :) gl

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• definitely keep the basil planted close to the tomato; it will keep away pests.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2009