thrush..

we were at the er from 11pm=5am this morning w my 2month son n he has thrush. anyone ever experinced it? how long till its gone?

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD had this several times and our pediatricain gave us a great home remedy for it, but I honestly can't remember what it was now. I think it was plain water and like a teaspoon of cider vinegar in a bottle. But I might be wrong because it was 10 years ago so don't follow that! Its not a big deal, they usually give you a prescription but my pediatrician was older and didn't believe a kid needed a pharmacy for every issue. Like when my DS had a yeast infection, he told me to go get regular yeast infection cream and use that. Then to stop giving him bubble baths and use Dial soap.
    Anonymous

• had it twice, not fun. first time took a month to get rid of and we are breastfeeding so we just kept passing it back and forward. started with nystatin and that made it worse for us. nursing became PAINFUL for me and the thrush spread in my sons mouth. we got gentian violet from our pharmacy and cleared it up most of the way but never had it gone quite right. i ended up getting a nasty crack in my nipple and needed to get diflucan for us to get rid of the thrush. that cleared us up very quickly. the second time i started him on gv and called my dr and got the diflucan right away. im finishing it up now but the thrush was a very mild case so it was gone in his mouth quick. if you treat it all the way through its gone in a couple days but you want to treat for a good 2 weeks after to make sure its all dead
    mommaslilman06

Answer by mommaslilman06 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Mine was gone pretty quickly. The doctor gave us prescription liquid to put in his mouth and i was treated with lamisil.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• if the doc gives the baby medicine it should go away slowly within a few days. my son kept getting it though. when i was breastfeeding i got it too and same as above, we kept passing it back and forth but it hurt so i called my obgyn and asked about meds and they gave me some kind of yeast med to take for 2 days and it went away but i quit BF just in case.
    tiffanyec21

Answer by tiffanyec21 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• with the nystatin its suppose to take 10 days...thats what im giving my baby now and its been 7 days and i can still see white in her mouth so ill probly have to do a another round of that or somethin else.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• All 3 of my children had it. The dr prescribed Nystatin. I hate that stuff. It didn't work for us. I used Gentian Violet. I dipped a Q-tip in GV & rubbed it around in their mouths. I dipped the other end of the Q-tip in GV & rubbed it on my nipple & areola. It burns a little bit until you nurse. I noticed a positive difference in my boys right away. I did this twice a day for 14 days. Warning: Gentian Violet will stain yours and your baby's clothes purple.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2009