I don't think my punishment style is working for me & my 2 yr old son, he

drove me nuts!!! today he rips everything out of his dresser draws when I put him down for a nap, opens the fridge 100 times, climbs on the Tv entertainment center, when he does these things I give a swat on the butt & say NO!! but do you think a tomeout will work better & is a better way to disapline?? I think he's out of control & seems to have no boundaries

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you swat him, what happens? Is he upset, does he just keep moving. Does he immediately do what he was doing again? You might just have to keep trying different options until you find soemthing that affects him. Time out may not work, or if he's spearated from what he wants to do, it might. Or taking toys away. Does he have a favorite blanket or toy you can take for a period of time that would upset him? I think the key is to find something that gets through to him and lets him know you are not pleased wtih his actions.
    Anonymous

• When I swat him he does sometimes stops& he laughs sometimes!! am I just a softee ?? I feel so overwhelmed
    Anonymous

• Have you seen those out of control kids on the Maury show? It didnt just happen overnight. It starts when they are young about 2 years old. Show him who's the boss-my grandbaby is almost 2 and horrible. I love her to death but she get a good old fashioned swat on her butt or leg and told to stop. If she does it again same thing. The key is to be consistent-if you don't you're looking for more trouble.
    debbiewebbie

Answer by debbiewebbie at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Sounds like you need to take him outside and let him run around a playground every day to get that extra energy out. A very spirited child, it sounds like. Swatting is not the answer here, neither is time out, it seems. Re-direct him to where his pent up energy can be properly spent. When he takes his clothes out, he needs to put them back in - you can use gentle hand-on-hand direction to help him accomplish this. When he's climbing, take him down and out of the room - preferably with someplace that has something he can climb. My son learned to climb on me when he had nothing else to climb. When all boundaries are No, and none are Yes, then that can be extremely frustrating for kids. Give him alternatives for his energy and I suggest reading Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. And remember that positive reinforcement is always a good way to discipline. Catch him doing good and praise it like crazy.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• IF I did that to my son he would just laugh I know how u feel. My son drives me crazy sometimes but time outs work for me if you keep ur ground he'll see that you mean business. I know its easier to just let him do what he wants but hell never learn. Just hang in there n keep ur ground. Good luck

KLUVZA

Answer by KLUVZA at 6:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• 2 swats and put in the room works for me..or i yell "GO to BED NOW" and walk away..They are working fine so far...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my dd is 18 months and i tell her no then sit her on the couch for time out for a minute...and i got it to where now when she is someplace or on something she doesnt belong i just give her the look and she pouts and moves onto something else
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i have found that putting the kids in time out in a room away from people that isnt their room works best...but we have the spanklable offense rule in r house...if u kick or hit a animal or run out in the rd its a spankable offense but pretty much anything else is a timeout in the pantry and ur not allowed a treat at icecream time with the rest of the family
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2009