How often do you get a sonogram? Iv'e gotton one at my doctors office &

then 2 more when I had to get an amnio & another test, everytime I ask my doctor for one he says well as long as your feeling fine & heart beat is good there really isn't a need for one, but I want to see what's going on in me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go to the ER they always give you one there lol
    Anonymous

• It depends on your Dr. My friend has had 3 I think but when I was going to the health dept the only reason I got more than one is because one of my tests came back with positive markers for spina bifida and I needed a stage two sono to check the vertebrae. (he was fine)
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 5:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• with my 1st I had 17 and my 2nd we actually lost count. (I had major, major medical problems and was on daily morphine... babeez needed frequent checks, as did my kidneys)

I agree with anon about ER. As long as you're not anti ultrasound for whatever various reasons.... a white lie or something random can get you a scan, pictures, and piece of mind to get you thru the next trimester. I've had many friends come up with random BS reasons for xtra ultrasounds.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• usually insurance will only pay for one unless there is something wrong with the baby.

There are also many people that say that too many ultrasounds can damage a growing fetus. But at this time, I don't believe there is any proof of that EITHER way. not proving them safe, not proving them unsafe.

I think that is why most Doctor's prefer to do fewer of them (and then there is the money part too) But to err on the side of caution is always better.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I also had issues. Excessive amniotic fluid and my baby hasbirth defects. They had to see if she was growing and how severe the defects were/ They also had to check my fluid levels and such.

I had a level 2 every week from 20 weeks on. My other two pregnancies they only did one ultrasound for my entire pregnancy. If there is a reason for them to do more, they will let you know.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I had 9 thoughout my last pregnacy. Not a good thing though since they thoughout that pregnancy they thought my son had a chromosomal problem. The perinatologist put me through so much stress at every ultrasound. The night before a scheduled u/s I literally turned into a complete basket case and stayed that way until about 24 hrs after the u/s because the results were always the same...they just didn't know for sure. Turns out my son was fine. If I were ever to get pregnant again (which is doubtful) I think I would skip the ultrasounds completely
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 5:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• plan on paying cash for your next one. check your phone book and see if there are any places that you can walk in to see the baby. here there are places in the mall just like photo places. some of those places even offer 3d and 4d ultrasounds.
    Anonymous

• I wanted more, but they only let me have one.
    Anonymous

• Don't go to the ER as the first poster said that is such a waste of resources and they will not let you see what they are doing while you are in the er its against policy (i thought it was F&&&ed up when i went in for bleeding and they wouldn't let my ex (the father) go in with me and they would not let me see what they were seeing.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My first I had two - one at 6 weeks because I was spotting and another at 21 weeks. For this one I had one at 9 weeks because my midwife couldn't get a heartbeat with the doppler but could with the ultrasound.
    Anonymous