child abuse or no?

I feed my son solids twice a day. The doctor said 2-3 times a day so I do 2 because I feel that if he has solids 3 times a day he almost completely loses interest in breastmilk which I know is essential to brain development and growth. My father just accused me of starving him and said I'm abusing him. Is he right or totally out of line?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is out of line...it also depends on how old he is if you're still breastfeeding him. most experts say you should start weening at about one year old. but if he is younger than that i think you know what is best and you are doing what the doctor said so it should be fine
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 5:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You are absolutely not starving him and you are absolutely not abusing him. It is more important for him to get breast milk than solids at this age. I am assuming somewhere between 6-9 months? Gerber has a great guideline for how much a child should consume based on age. Before about 9 months, 90% of that is breast milk. Solids now are more for practice than for nutrition. Let me see if I can find that break down for you so that you can see it for yourself, or perhaps show your father.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• http://www.gerber.com/Nutrition_Feeding/SHSH_Nutrition_Guide_Index.aspx#

It goes by developmental milestone here. However, it kind of demonstrates a GUIDELINE, not an exact measurement, of what a child at that stage of development should be eating.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• totally out of line. He has no clue what he is talking about... but furthermore he has no clue that he has no clue! LOL.... just take it with a grain of salt.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 5:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Wow, that's waaaaaaaay out of line. Before one year (typically the switch to whole milk as it does not contain the nutrients that breastmilk and formula does) food is not really necessary. Also, food should be in addition to breastmilk, so i would imagine that he'd keep taking your milk even with the foods.
    Anonymous

• OP- My son is 10 months old. My parents seem to think that just because the baby get whiny I should give him solids more often. my son is getting a chest cold, is teething, and is having separation anxiety.. gee no wonder he gets whiny!
    Anonymous

• The breastmilk is best and it would be fine if gave him no solids at all until he is a year old! He needs to be getting most of his nutrition from your milk. Your father dosent know what he is talking about. Breastfeed as long as you want!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 6:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I didn't give my baby ANY solids until 11 months old ;) Just breastmilk. You're fine.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would still give him breatsmilk, but keep giving him solids cuz that way he will be getting used to them and later on in life he wont be such a pickey eater, I didn't give my oldest solids before one whats so ever and he won't try new things and it's just a nightmare to get him fed cuz he is so pickey, so with my 8 month old I started to introduce table foods at like 5 1/2 months
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• my kids are picky no matter when I gave them solids...
    I think it just depends on the child
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 6:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2009