Crate training? Spanking? I don't know what to do. I have 3 rescue dogs, I can't get them to stop messing!?

I have cut back on their food intake. I take up their water and food at 6 pm and let them go outside for an hour or so for each dog. I have an issue with spanking them because they were all abused.I don't know what to do!! I just let them each outside and turned around to a pile of poop on the floor, two puddles of pee and one of them hiking their leg on the couch.I wake up to piles of poop on the floor and usually step in pee. I went out and bought a steam cleaner because the problem has escalated. I steam clean my carpet in my bedroom at least once a day and mop my floors in my living room and kitchen at least once every two days as well as "spot cleaning". It's SO embarrassing. I am NOT a dirty person but I'm embarrassed to have people over because my house smells! I clean all the time! Please, if anyone knows what to do, please help me!!They are like my children, literally, but i'm afraid I'll have to get rid of them!Help!

keb7

Asked by keb7 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pets

• what i did with my dogs is crate train them. put them in the crate and only let them out to go potty and of course play time and attention but as soon as your done put them back in the crate just stick to putting them in a crate and your house will start smelling better! i had a hard time too!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We had a dog that did this a lot and dogs don't really need to eat more than once a day. If you feed them in the morning (they will learn after a day or so that if they don't eat when you put the food down then they wont eat till the next day so don't worry they wont starve). Don't give them anything to eat after 3pm no treats nothing and put them out as soon as you finish feeding them and put them out for like an hour b4 bed. Don't crate train them that just makes them neurotic people who keep their dogs in a crate are cruel and it should be considered abuse! if you don't want a dog all over your house then make it an outside dog or don't have a dog they need freedom to move and they need a lot of attention. but if you feed them once a day the problems should stop.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Alie1313--if you crate train a dog properly, they actually like their crate. Seriously, ABUSE, I really don't think so. You don't lock them in the crate and forget about them, they only stay in there at night, or when you are away from the house for extended periods of time. My dogs actually don't need crates anymore. One doesn't use hers, one likes to go in there at times when things are hectic. The idea is that they won't poo or pee where they sleep, so it is effective training. They stay in the crate until they are used to that and you slowly move them to larger areas. Ours went from crate to bathroom, to kitchen (using baby gates) to free roaming the house. They are not neurotic and assigning a truly human emotion to dogs is a little silly anyway.

OP, crate training is what is recommended by most vets and pet trainers. It works almost every time.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Alie, one more thing, every vet I have spoken to states that feeding should be twice a day, otherwise your dog may wolf down the food to quickly in the morning and with some breeds may end up with stomach issues, some of which can be very serious.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Crate Training is best. It's highly recommended by every Vet I've ever known and it is recommended in all the books like the Dog Breeds Books and AKC and such. Don't leave them in there for long stretches of time during the day without getting them out, and make sure they have enough room to stand up and turn around, but other than that, crate training is not cruel or inhumane. It is much better than having to send an animal back to a shelter because you can't get it to go potty outside. Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Letting them out for an hour is not the same as taking them for a walk and giving them exercise. Take them for long walks at the same times every day. And feed them twice a day. These dogs are hungry for attention. Caging them up won't do anything.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I appreciate everyone's answers but LIghthousemom and Chrissy you are right.
    "It is much better than having to send an animal back to a shelter because you can't get it to go potty outside." They are my world. And though I was pissed when i wrote the question, I can NOT imagine my life with out them. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't do that. After all, they are the reasons I got through the worst time in my life.
    And Chrissy they are for sure hungry for attention. I used to spend ALL of my free time with my dogs but have recently started going out more due to a break up. It's a very selfish reason, I know. I give them the best food ($60 dollars a week), they have toys for boredom, and they have each other but they haven't been out in a LONG time. I need to bring them to the dog park or something.
    Thanks for everyone's advice.
    keb7

Answer by keb7 at 5:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with crate training. I did not used to. We adopted a weiner dog, whose first owner did not like barking....weiner dogs do like to bark! He was crate trained since he was a pup. They even gave us the crate. He likes his crate a LOT. We just leave the crate open and never close him in there anymore (now that we have the potty outside deal down firmly with him) and he goes in the crate all by himself to lie down whenever he wants to. If he felt somehow threatened by the crate, I do not think that he would choose to go in there on his own.

Best of luck with your doggies Mamma!
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 4:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I hate when people who know nothing about crate training try to say it is cruel or inhumane! We're not talking about leaving the dog "caged" 24/7/365. We're talking about giving your dog a safe place to go when you can't supervise them 100%. Would you rather a dog pee/poop all over your house or get into something dangerous and get sick/injured/die??! IMO, it is much more cruel/inhumane not to either crate train or keep the dog tethered to you so you can WATCH it. Would you just leave a human baby on the floor unsupervised for any amount of time? I would hope not. It's basically the same thing.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I one hundred percent agree that crate training is humane. I just don't know how to do it the proper way. I crate them if I can't supervise them but the biggest problem is the fact that they do it when I am sleeping. I let them out plenty so that's not the problem. I take up their food at a certain time... but what do I do when i'm sleeping and they are messing? I'll usually wake up bc of the smell and then pick it up but I don't know which one has done it so i don't know ho to punish....
    keb7

Answer by keb7 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009