Christians--the book of job?

help you in hard times or just get your down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The book of Job let's me know I have nothing to complain about.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 12:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It helps me as I know that I am not alone and frankly, I have never had to go through what Job did.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 6:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Aaaahhh ha ha ha. Yeah, don't ask me LOL. I just cannot read the book of Job when I am down. It really wears me out emotionally. Not so much his suffering, but the fact that his friends keep tormenting him, and trying to make him feel bad!!!

The one think I love about the book of Job is that it shows that we can't always take people's advice or depend on them to bring us comfort when we are suffering. People just sometimes say the WRONG things. We need to depend fully on the comfort that God provides.

Another thing that it important to notice is that their bad advice is surrounded by a lot of things that sound good. Sometimes it is hard to seperate the falsehood from the fact when people talk. You can't believe everything someone says, just because some of it sounds true. It makes me think about giving advice, I don't want to just give my opinion but I want it to be helpful and true, so I pray and take it seriously.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I don't look to Job as much of a role model to be honest with you. While it demonstrates that nothing happens out of the control of God, the things that happened to Job were because he allowed the devil to have a foothold by wallowing in his own righteousness. He may not have cursed God but he got pretty close "It is God that has denied me justice!" he says, among other things. My favorite part is when God comes down in a whirlwind and tells everyone to shut up because NONE of them have any idea what they're talking about. As he tells Job, until we've placed the stars in the sky, set the boundaries of the tide and walked the lengths of the deep, THEN we have the right to tell God he isn't just.

Romans 8 is more up my alley when I'm having a rough time :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It helps me but not when I am at the very start of a trial. For me when some new trial starts Job doesn't help, other than maybe make me think I don't have it quite that bad. But as time goes by and I am looking for more answers then I can read it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It helps. You know, I'm not very smart...it wasn't until just recently that I learned that Job was the first book written in the Bible. Amazing how much we can continue to learn from the Bible and about the Bible....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• to me it helps remind me everything that faith is capable of accomplishing. God had faith in Job and knew he would not turn. Job had faith in God and knew God would not dessert him.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• helps me to remain faithful during any funk im in.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Both, I find it hard to see how Job can be happy about loosing his intire first family even when God replaces them with another. But then again, I wouldn't want to be 90 years old and have a baby, like Sarah either, even though my children are a great joy to me.

But remember, God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts so as long as we are in His will, it doesn't really matter.
    Necie11

Answer by Necie11 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Helped. If Job could pull throgh, so can anyone.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009