How free do you let your toddler be?

My almost 15 month old loves to climb and explore. Sometimes he falls but he gets right back up. We were with our play group at these water fountains the kids can run through. There are stairs then a grassy lawn. He walked down the stairs and was walking around the lawn. The other moms seemed annoyed bc their toddlers wanted to follow and they didn't want them to go. They always want their kids to stay in one place but that's no fun!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as he stays in my sight and within running distance I am cool with letting him go. One of my friends had a kid a year older than mine, but when her kid was a toddler, she and her husband didn't let the kid walk or crawl anywhere, but made them sit in one of their laps and it drove me nuts because their back yard was fenced in for peat sake.
    Anonymous

• depends on how far away they are and what's between us. if it's just a big grassy area, park, ect, then i'll let him run way ahead of me, or run and play while i sit and watch. i'm not really good with feet, but i'd say about 60-70ft. away, give or take. if we are in a crowded place, i prefer him to be closer. if we're at a park that crowded, i let him run around the park anyway, as long as i'm in a spot i can see him the majority of the time. occasionaly, like a toddler will do, he finds a blind spot lol, but that's when i get up and walk a little until i see him, know he's ok, then i'll go back and sit where i originally was. so i guess you can say i give him alot of leway lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Just to be clear I was walking around the lawn with him.
    Anonymous

• I let my kids go were they want to go as long as it's in a safe place, I just make sure I'm right behind them
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm the same as you...she is 14 months old and I let her go until I feel like I couldn't reach her fast enough if something happened to her...so probably 20-25 feet and then I get up and walk with her if she wants to go any further.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If I can see her and there's no imminent danger (like cars) I let her roam.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I let my dd go! She's little and I want her to explore all she can without danger of course! I'm always walking with her or close by her... but let her learn what she will and answer any questions she has or explain what something is! I can't expect her to sit on my lap! poor baby!!! She's 20 mos and has yet to run away...
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i let my one yr old go were ever she wants as long as i feel is safe,i just walk by her in case she falls from climbing or something.they wont learn if they dont get to find stuff out for them self..there devoloping there common sense
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• "Just to be clear I was walking around the lawn with him."

I think that is great. Let him run around and explore safe places. As long as he is being watched, I think it is good for him. At the same age, I took my DD to the play ground with my Dad. He was following her around just waiting for her to fall so he could catch her. He said he didn't know how I wasn't a nervous wreck... But, I think you gotta just let them go a little bit at times and see what they can do on their own. Its good for the brain, its good for the body!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Lol, some people are just over protective, or some people just don't understand that kids are kids.

Obviously if you're letting your kid take off and do whatever, that's not right. But, if he's being watched and isn't gonna jump into a lake or something, by gosh let him go!

We've always let our DD explore how she pleased, supervised of course. A good friend of mine, bless her heart, wouldn't even let her 14 month old go down a 2 foot slide alone! Lol. She'd have to hold her all the way down. One day I was like, it's okay, let go, and she did and was like "oh, she's okay!". (she didn't say that, but that was the look on her face). Hehe.

Live and learn.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009