Military wives who have gone through hardship tours or deployment.

When you go to meet your DH after several months or a year of not seeing him do you dress up nice? Or do you wear your regular clothes?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband comes home in two months! I will be looking my best and so will our dd. I think it is important and it is something he is looking forward to seeing. Doesn't matter WHAT i wear but as long as I look good he says LOL Plus, I like to look very nice next to him in that uniform!! :)
    When he came home on R&R i was dressed in a VERY nice sexy dress and our dd was in a fluffy dress at the airport. He appreciated it! He deployed when dd was 8 mos, and came back on leave, she was 18 mos... now she is 20 mos.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i'm pregnant, so when he comes home, its going to be whatever fits. .lol
    Anonymous

• depends on the person. some prefer to look nice, some know their dh doesn't care either way, they're just happy to see them. lol, i told my dh i'd meet him at the airport in my pj's, he said that's fine, as long as he gets to see me, and i'm wearing clothes lol. he's coming home on R&R in a few days, and i am dressing up. mainly for me more than him, i've lost alot of weight since he left, so i guess i want to show off to him lol. i'm dressing our dd up in a cute dress, he left when she was just 5 months, so this will be his first time seeing her in pigtails. not dressing up our 2yr old ds though, he'll probly get messy with my luck.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I was pregnant for his leave last deployment. Two days from having a baby. I looked horrible, but I tried to dress as nice as I could. I went all out for him when he came home after that. I want to look my best when he gets home. I would hate to disappoint him. Although I have to admit he came home from JRTC last month and got in at three am. I was in my pajamas when I picked him up. : )
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 7:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My husband did 30 yrs in the Navy. Many many deployments later I can tell you I ALWAYS dressed up. The kids were always dressed nicely too. He didn't expect it, but he did appreciated it. I always had his favorite meal planned. No new 'surprises' at the house though. After our first deployment together I learned it upset him to come home to find new furniture or even new bedsheets. It made him feel disconnected from us. I don't know if other guys feel that way but mine did. Now if I was able to pay something off early..that was a surprise he loved. I picked up extra shifts on one deployment and was able to pay our truck off a year early. He LIKED that a lot. LOL.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• lol grneyedgrandma, that's when i would have told him that life does NOT freeze just cuz he's deployed. i've already had to say that to my husband a few times...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Due to the nature of my husband's job, his "homecomings" weren't like the common ones, which was very frustrating. We knew a roundabout date of when he'd be home, but we never knew exactly when until he walked in the house.
    Even when he left for deployments it was unusual because only a few of his unit left at the same time at the base airport, so there weren't too many wives or children there to communicate or bond with.
    I think I would have preferred seeing him off on a ship like other Navy personnel with other spouses and children surrounding us and then all of us back on a pier waving signs and watching that ship pull back in for homecoming.
    Anyhow, if I had to wait a long while on the pier or in inclement weather I would dress casual, yet nice, and dress the children nice, too.
    :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009