Should I immediately take my cat to the vet?

My daughter went out to the car to get something. She did not notice that my cat jumped into the car. Three hours later, my daughter saw him. It is over 90 degrees, so I know the car was hot. Mittens was completely soaked on his front and panting. He is now inside. He drank water and is now cleaning himself. Outside of being wet, he seems fine. Should I still take him to the vet asap, or wait and see how he does tonight?

AngelDawn7

Asked by AngelDawn7 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Health

• Here is a link for you:

http://pet-diseases.suite101.com/article.cfm/heat_stroke_in_dogs_and_cats
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 7:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would take him in, even if they only give him fluids.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 7:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Nope he will be fine! Cats live outside here in Texas and it is 108 right now! Our air conditioning is broken right now, so it is 96 in here!!!!! We have a cat and 6 dogs, they are panting but just fine. (We just got it fixed so I hope it will work soon)
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 7:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I would call the vet instead of taking him in, and see what they say.

IMO if the cat is acting fine, drinking water, and is not being lethargic or acting like it is suffering at all from heat stroke or anything of that nature, then why waste the money?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• He is eating now. Still drinking a lot, but now eating too and still cleaning. I think he will be OK. Had a big talk with my daughter about paying attention to what is around her.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My nieghbors cat has a horrible habbit of doing that. I have let him out of my truck many times. Kitty shuld be ok as long as it is eating and drinking.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Thanks everyone! I think he is fine. Lesson learned. Hopefully he won't jump in again.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2009