How do I know if I'm leaking fluid?

I'm about 20 weeks pg and I'm having some wetness. How do I know if its just normal discharge, pee, or amniotic fluid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you should just call L&D and ask them, that would be my opinion just to be safe
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i would call my dr and ask him what i should do...hell probaly set up an appt or have you go get checked...but do it sooner than later b/c if you are leaking that could mean big trouble for the baby...Hope everything is good!!!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 7:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• did you try smelling it? maybe put in a pantyliner and then do a sniff test. pee smells like well pee and i don't think amniotic fluid smells at all
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• hahahhaha. I know how you feel...when i was expecting my 3rd, I kept leaking this clearish fluid, and I just knew it had to be amniotic...I called doc, had to go to the hospital and have a vaginal check, and turns out the baby was kicking my bladder causing me to leak urine. I was embarrassed about that, but they say it happens all the time...hahahaha......Call doc to be sure though.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Amniotic fluid can have a slightly bleachy smell.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Pee smells like pee, amniotic fluid smells sweet, and today....mother nature graced my undies with a random flow of "happy juices" Which smell sour?....ish?. I had just wiped after going pee, stood up to flush the toilet, and dripped on the floor. I was like "seriously? Did I just pee on the floor a little?" Turns out my vajayjay just needed to release some happy stuff. Wear a panty liner, and if you're concerned smell it next time you go potty.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 2:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009