How old is old enough for your kids to stay home alone?

I work full time, and so does their dad, so they stay with my mom during the week until we get off, either I pick them up or he does, and we drop them back off with her in the morning. Next year though my oldest will be twelve, and by our state's law, she will be legally old enough to stay home alone during the day. She has a cell phone already, and I think she would be able to handle it. The thing is, will the other two listen to her or give her shit??? LOL. I think my other daughter will be okay with Isabel, but I don't know about my son...he may have to stay with my mom, or else. Last Tuesday I had them with me, and i took David to the store with me, but the girls stayed by themselves for ten minutes that it took me...and Amber called me to ask if they could have a snack...so I think they would be okay...but not sure that my son would listen to them if he was there all day alone with them.

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 7:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Continued...their dad thinks this would be okay, so what I thought is maybe to give it a trial. What do you ladies think? Is this something you would do or not?
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 7:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• When they are MATURE! But older than 11.

Anonymous

• I think that would be too much to ask of your 12 year old.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i think that if the boy is too much that you shouldnt leave her with him alone because she may not be able to handle it. i took care of little sister and brother at that age and they are 4 and a half years younger than me. Just be careful and specific with rules and if things dont go well you should go back to the old way
    crystaleve29

Answer by crystaleve29 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Mine dd#1 is 14 about a year ago we started having her babysit so we could go out. So maybe you could do a "trial run" with them.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Alot of it depends on the maturity of your dd. Some state laws say that a child can stay alone at 12 but not be in charge of other children. Like some other moms said I think you should give it a trial run, maybe plan on it for one week, call home and check on them as much as you can, and have your dd call if she has any problems. I was the oldest of 4 and I did alot of babysitting, I only had one brother, I did fine with my sisters but my brother and I would fight and argue. But my mom had no other options at the time, so we just dealt with it!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009