Different formulas

I only use formula to mix my daughters cereal, and I have 3-4 cans of different formulas that I received as samples when I was pregnant. Similac Advance, Similac Sensitive and Enfamil Lipil. I breastfeed her so I don't know too much about formulas. I have been using the Similac Advance, but now I want to use the rest of them before I spend money on more cans. Is it ok for me to do that without my daughters tummy getting upset?

LilyandEmmasMom

Asked by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• you know you can use breastmilk to mix the cereal? or you can just use water. i used water.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My milksupply is slowing down and that is why I have been using formula to mix her cereal. I used to use my breastmilk.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Before you use different mixtures you might want to go to the store and see if you can exchange them for the same one you've been using. The different formulas have different amounts of whey or milk protein, and it might mess up her tummy.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• They are very different. to go from one to the other (as far as REGULAR FORMULA) you need to slowly adjust it. Meaning taking a little less of similac and putting enfamil in... then eventually having full enfamil! But going from similac to similac isn't a problem. The formulas are different and if you are going to use that then I would just stick with one brand.
    I had to switch my dd from Enfamil to Similac (because of WIC) and it took a week to do it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Some children do fine w/ the whole switching formula thing. My DD did not when she began showing signs of allergies we switched her from different formulas maybe 4 times & w/ each new one she had to adjust to it for a few days which always was misserable.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• No, it's not ok to keep switching formulas, it could cause stomach problems or allergies. Stick with one formula or use breast milk or water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Thanks for you answers. I think I will just use the Similac cans I have since I have been using Similac and then give away the Enfamil. I have quite a few neighbors who had babies recently, so maybe they are interested.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• WHy not use water or even skip the cereal all together, your breastmilk hsa all the iron she needs and the iron in cereal messes with the absorbtion of the iron from your milk...go with sweet potato, avacado, or bananas as a first food...no more formula is needed to contaminate her tummy...theres just no need for the formula at all..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• COme by Breastfeeding moms the group, we can give you call kinds of help with Bfing and solids
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• soy and dairy are both allergy triggers; as long as you have breast milk, use it.
    Here are some suggestions for increasing your supply: drink lots of water; have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby; take brewers yeast tablets. take fenugreek capsules, nurse frequently (at least every two hours), eat oatmeal every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009