Would you allow your 12 yr son to see his niece or nephew nursing if it was done modeslty?

I am planning on nursing this time around.. my mom was an avid FFer (nothing wrong with ffing btw my first son was) and has told me that when we come to visit after the baby is born i am NOT allowed to nurse in front of my dad or my 12 yr old brother and that i have to go in antoher of her house to do it.. I know its her house her rules but i am the only one who thinks this is a little ridiculous.. my brother sees more skin at the mall then he ever will see from me nursing...opinions please

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Good grief. Of course.
    JoyeAustin

Answer by JoyeAustin at 8:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Of course....my boyfriends father and brother (brother at the time 18) would come visit when I was bf'ing and we would carry on a normal conversation - its not a sexual thing at all and your mom needs to get a clue.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Of course! Why not? It's just the society that your family grew up in that makes them feel that way. Breastfeeding was considered gross by many a few decades ago. I'm glad my family sees both formula and breastfeeding as normal and natural. One of my cousins breastfed all three of her kids and the other breastfed and formula fed. The exclusive BF-ing cousin didn't bat an eye when I told her I only give my daughter formula. Her oldest son is 16 and had no problem watching his one year old little sister nursing.

I'm sorry your family is this way. NO fair!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• That is RIDICULOUS. If that were me I would say ok, I'm not coming over then. They should support you.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Oh my god. I would actually have to argue with my mum for a while after she tells me that.

When i go to my stepmums, i will be breastfeeding if my babyif he is hungry and my dad and little brother of 6 will be there. I can assure you, my stepmum won't be draggin g my little brother out of the room. He'll ask questions and be facinated.

I'd simply leave everytime the baby is hungry saying "you made it clear im not breastfeed here so, i'll go"
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 8:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have to say that, my mom was weird about me bf my ds in front of her boyfriend that was until she actually saw that when I was nursing him nothing showed, niether of them had an issue, and both know that bf is NATURAL, if it were my mom I just wouldnt go to visit.
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yes. If you hide it from him that makes it seem like it's wrong. Kids that witness breastfeeding growing up having a healthy and positive attitude about it and are more likely to do it (or encourage their spouse to do it.)
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son is 13 and has seen his cousin bf her kids, he was 4 yrs old when my cousin had her first child. It is a natural thing and I have no problem with him seeing it. Just because I chose not to bf doesn't mean I don't support others that do. If your mom feels they way she does, then don't go over there or leave before your baby needs to be fed. If you are at your house, she can leave if she doesn't like it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• As long as you are comfortable doing it I see no problem, when my cousin visits family she goes into other parts of the house but that's b/c she chooses to do so.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 10:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• most 12 yr old boys don't want to watch stuff like that so make sure he has another place to go and not trapped in the room with you. I always put a receiving blanket over the baby so no one saw anything. Be tasteful. Don't scar the pre teen.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2009