If you're agoraphobic, how did it start?

I'm starting to be nervous about going out in public or leaving my kids at home. I don't like being around other people if they're strangers. When I am away from home, I worry about what could happen to me or my kids. I actually switched to a more expensive grocery store because there are less people there.

Any advice from someone who's had this problem would help. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Health

• Actually I have a social phobia, but not full blown agoriphobia. I fight it all the time, some days are better than others. I have chosen my grocery store because it is small. Some days I can handle WalMart some days I can't. The Mall is a big one for me...almost everytime I go there I have an anxiety attack. I just take it one day at a time, and do what I can ....I do try to push myself some, if I can handle it, but I know the warning signs that I'm becoming overwhelmed and I find the nearest exit and run to my car.
    Anonymous

• i have had it so long i don't remember. pm me if you want

Answer by admckenzie at 10:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Mine started in middle school. I was never one of the "cool" kids and was constantly picked on and bullied. Of course I became uneasy when I was around people! What really kicked it in was when I started having panic attacks (medical cause, not mental) and I began to associate the panic attacks with being around large groups of people. I still prefer to NOT be around large groups of people (that's just who I am) but I have gotten past the point of being afraid.

Probably the first thing to ask yourself is WHY you feel the way you do. What thoughts are going through your head? Are they rational thoughts? Are you worried about what other people think of you? If something happens to you while you are out you know very well that being around people is the BEST way for you to get help. You need to get control before you end up becoming a recluse. This will get worse if you don't get a handle on your thoughts.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Try progressive relaxation techniques when you feel like you can't handle the fear: Deep breath and let it out slowly. Do it again. Tighten your hand into a fist then let the tension flow out through your fingers. Visualize your muscles relaxing, the tension and fear flowing out like sand away from your body.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009