What to do about disrespectful step children

My 25 year old step daughter was here last week and wouldn't talk to me. She finally said that she won't talk to people "beneath" her. She then told my husband (her dad) that she told him that he shouldn't marry me and that is why she is acting that way. I don't know that I have done anything to her other than marry her dad. My husband just let it go. She has said terrible things about me and my husband just ignores it. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Maybe you should ask her why she comes to YOUR home if she doesn't like you. Also ask her why she comes to her fathers home when she clearly disrespects him as an adult (making a decision on who to marry). I'm sort of saying this facetiously.
    All of these types of things...confrontations...belong to your husband regarding his children, not you. If he's that lax on it, it speaks mountains about him as a man and a husband. I'd question him.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• There's not anything that you can do. If anyone is to handle the situation, it should be your husband, and it would appear that he is not going to. So, I think your only option is to choose to not be bothered by her not liking you, any more than you would be bothered by a complete stranger not liking you. When you see her, you can be polite. That's really all that is required. And you can love your husband and not be bringing the subject up to him.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Let your hubby know that you will not be disrespected by HIS children and that he needs to speak with HIS DAUGHTER and have her treat you with respect and if he can't do that for you then look at who you are married I believe that ofcourse his children should always come first but if you have done nothing wrong then why is he not saying anything to HER. She sounds like she's a real bitch to me.
    I also have step-children and they will not disrespect me AT ALL there father call them on that shit. Even there mother will not allow it either.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We have had a few step parenting issues. What I have told my kids is they don't have to love them, they don't even have to like them...but they do have to respect them.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• stop inviting her over

Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2009