I'm 34 weeks pregnant, and I was wondering if there is some kind of way to estimate how much my baby will weigh when she is born? The doctors pretty much just give me the estimates that are in birthing books, and I don't know if I trust their judgement. They said currently she's at 5 lbs. roughly, and I just want to know how much bigger she's going to get. We have a few weeks to go!

34 weeks, started at 120lbs. Currently 140ish. Baby is due August 24th. I was 5lbs. 8 oz. at birth and husband was 7lbs. 8 oz. I am petite and about 5'1.

Gothiclovesick

Asked by Gothiclovesick at 9:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's no way to tell until she comes out. There are certain things doctors use to estimate that are usually right, but not always. For instance, parents' birth weight (babies tend to be about as big as their parents), birth order (second and subsequent babies tend to be bigger), gender (boys tend to be bigger than girls), average size (what your doctor's probably going by right now/what's in books), ultrasound (generally thought to be the most accurate). But none of these is a sure thing. They were off by a pound guesstimating my son's weight by ultrasound, and my doctor swore up and down that my second would be bigger but she ended up being 5 oz smaller when born a week later than my first. The general rule of thumb is that they gain about 1/2 a pound a week at the end, so if she is 5 pounds, she'll be about 8 at 40 weeks. But again, there's no guarantee. Don't stress about it too much, it doesn't matter in the end. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• yes , if u ask the doc at ur next appointment they will be able to do a ultra sound and tell u... they were only off my 4 oz with my son and 11 oz with my dd
    Anonymous

• they'll give you what the book says, or they can do another ultra sound and guesstimate by the length & width. more than likely they won't do that though, unless there is a medical reason
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• WHy would it matter how big he or she is, as long as it can breath on its own, babies are born small and large everyday, and usually a baby is made for moms body, it shouldnt get bigger than what your body can push out.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 9:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My doctors estimated that my daughter would be between 7-8lbs. She was 9lbs even. I think that with almost anything you can't be 100% positive. Technology can still be a fickle thing, there can be glitches or human error.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 9:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• There is no 100% way to tell. They told me for both of my kids they would be over 7 pounds easy (while looking at an ultra sound)...my dd 6lb 12oz my ds 6 lbs 10oz lol.....just wait and see, that is the fun of waiting =)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 9:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My ultrasound tech said they gain a pound a week at the end (I'm not so sure that's accurate). Mine was around 4lbs at 34 weeks and at 38wks (when he was born) he was 7lbs 7oz
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• they can guess by ultrasound, but i don't have any faith in that. the u's said my son was 11lbs, he was born a week after the scan and was 9lb 5.6oz
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 10:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It's not your height, but the size of your pelvis. Cephalopelvic disproportion is pretty rare.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth/small-pelvis-big-baby-cpd
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Interesting question. There are some tests the doctor can order that are done by ultra sound. However, their measurements, if the tech is good, can be off by as much as a pound in either direction by the time you get to your 36th week. It's hard to get an accurate estimate b/c babies grow/develop at different rates in the womb and the further along you are, the more likly it is that the measurements could be off. In my case, the measurements were always RIGHT on, within a few ounces.
    purplemoosemom

Answer by purplemoosemom at 10:19 AM on Jul. 12, 2009