I use avent bottles for my newborn. She is 3 weeks old and I am feeding her 3 ounces every 3 hours. Someone suggested that I feed her 4 ounces at her last feeding before bed, to help her sleep longer. Would this work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been preparing to have my baby in August, and reading a lot on the subject of feeding. The books I've read say that you should be careful not to overfeed your baby. Also, I think that if you're feeding her more to get her to sleep longer, doesn't it make sense she's more likely to wake with a wet diaper, instead of crying for more milk? Also, she'll be fed when she's hungry, as opposed to force feeding, which could lead to obesity.

Hope it works out. :)
    Gothiclovesick

Answer by Gothiclovesick at 9:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• It could work. But you don't want to overfeed her. She will let you know when she's not hungry anymore and if she won't take that last ounce at bedtime, then don't force it. It depends on the baby. With my lil guy I've feed him around about 10pm and given him a warm bath (if the cord hasn't fallen off, then a warm sponge bath will work) and put him to bed, he stays asleep until about 5 or 6am before he needs to be fed again. At 3 weeks, he was doing 4oz every feeding though.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• she will stop when she gets full. I think 3 ounce per 3 hour its not that much food. pour more in the bottle and let her have left over than you know for sure she is full.
    Anonymous

• I think that you really be feeding the baby as much as she wants to eat. You dont need to regulate unless they have acid reflux. She will stop when she is full and then dont force anymore. Enjoy this time as it changes soon and they sleep for a lot longer and you actually miss getting up at night to cuddle their warm bodies in the quiet and still darkness. Everyone could learn a lot from just listening to their babies and not having so many damn rules
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009