Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Want To Call CPS But Worried About Repercussions

CPS really needs to be called on my BIL and his GF, I have witnessed one of their children (age 2 at the time) dragged across the floor by her wrist with her feet/legs bouncing off hard objects. Listened as he gagged the same child with soap, insisting she couldn't take it out of her mouth until she stopped crying. She was gagging and struggling to breath as she choked and cried. My SIL has witnessed the 1 yr. old having a box slammed down on her legs because she wouldn't do something my BIL told her to do! There has been much suspected abuse by his GF as well although my 8 yr. old nephew has been the only witness to it. There are too many instances to recount them all. They also YELL at these children DAILY! My only concerns regarding calling would be #1 they live with my in-laws and I'd hate to see them in trouble, and #2 I'm worried about the repercussions that would come from my BIL. (cont. below)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

Answers (17)
  • (cont.) They would know it was my husband and I who called, as we're the only people in the family who would do it. We have not been on good terms with my BIL and his GF for some time. Most of these things I witnessed while renting a room from my in-laws, so living in close contact with my BIL, his GF and the children. My BIL has a history of violence in that he beat up one of my SIL's when she was pregnant with her first child (this was my now 8 yr. old nephew), badly enough for a mutual friend of theirs to question what in the world happened. My in-laws suspect that he's hit his GF, and I know for a fact, from her own confession, that he's spit in her face during a fight. He has also threatened physical harm to my husband. I am very fearful as to what he might do if we were to report him. I feel like it would put myself and my children at a HUGE risk! I'm so fearful for those children, ages 3, 2, 1! I REALLy want to

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • I would call anyway. The safety of the children is what matters at this point.

    Answer by LaceyAM at 9:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • (cont.) I REALLY want to do something to help protect those precious children.... I'm so conflicted on all of this! Hoping for some advice, what would you do? Would you risk your and your childrens' safety in this situation?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • I think that you should call and get a restraining order.

    Answer by LaceyAM at 9:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • call, they will not involve you. don't wait until the kid is dead

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • The children are the only thing you need to care about. They are too young and too helpless to stand up for themselves so they are counting on YOU to do it for them. I could give 2 shits if someone found out I called CPS on them if they were abusing their kids. I would know I did the right thing and that is all that would matter. It sucks that it is family but that even makes it more important to do something about it. You need to report them. If you didn't and God forbid something really really horrible happened to one of those poor babies, you would never forgive yourself...I can promise you that.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • just make the call, before is too late.

    Answer by stephania01 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • I would call anyway and if your inlaws allow this to happen in their house and don't try to stop it, they can be charged for failure to protect the children. I would call anyway, before one of those kids die. A kid being choked on soap is NOT safe or acceptable.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • Well, be prepared for this to cause a major rift in between the families, but consider the consequences of not doing anything. My brother and SIL called CPS on his ex-wife for suspected abuse after his 3 year old daughter came home with bruising on the inside of her thighs and near her anus. When they investigated things further, they found that the ex-wife was heavily involved with drugs and that her BF had been sexually molesting my niece for months. Although the call to CPS did not change the damage that had already been done, it prevented anything further from occuring. My advice is to bite the bullet and speak to a social worker or a CPS agent, like I said, be prepared for the painful, dramatic aftermath.

    Answer by ChrissMiss321 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

  • u can make anon phone call and no one would know that it was u if the abuse is the bad they will take the kids to a child physc dr and they will be eveluated or just call the cops and they will call cys so that y it takes u out of the loop and tell they cops u fear for life and they will probably have u press a restraining order against ur bil

    Answer by rainmommy at 10:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.