Bottle feeding puppies

I have two baby puppies that I am taking care of for a friend for a while. She has been feeding them regular milk, however, which I know isn't good for them. Anyway, I got some dog milk replacement. So that's not the problem. The problem is that I'm not sure if they are old enough to go to the bathroom by themselves, or if I should still be wiping them? They have their eyes open, but just barely. Other than that, I don't know how to tell how old they are....

Mrs.Frazzle

Asked by Mrs.Frazzle at 10:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pets

• barely open... Id say about 9 days old... and the above poster is right, you need to rub them gently on their privates for them to potty. Ive found sometimes you gotta get warm water on the rag to get some of them to poop. Youll have to do that until theyre about two weeks old. Are they eating okay? Theyll do alot better if the milk is warm too (not saying youre an idiot, i just mean they accept warm better and their bellies do better with warm)
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 12:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• they should have puppy milk replacer to ensure they r getting all the vitimins they need u can usally pick it up at walmart,pet store, or a vet office. if they r that little u need to help them go to the bath room just take a soft wash cloth and gentle rub their privates and teh should void (pee) and poop
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Thank you two for your answers. And yes, they are eating, but not too well since I can't really find a good thing to feed them WITH. I got dog baby bottles from WalMart, along with the replacement milk, but the nipples were way too small for them. I'm using an eye dropper now, and that seems to be a lot better. I've seen little bits of poop in the crate, but I am now finding it better when I use a baby washcloth and warm water. Also, I am warming the milk (but thank you for the tip, I'd rather have too MUCH info than not enough :) )
    Mrs.Frazzle

Answer by Mrs.Frazzle at 10:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2009