How much is too much for my baby to eat?

I am breastfeeding and formula feeding and my son is almost 6 weeks. According to most charts he should be eating around 4-5 ounces every 3-4 hours. Right now he is eating 5 ounces every 3 hours as well as breastfeeding a little in between. He seems to be very hungry as soon as 1 1/2 hours later. How much is too much to feed him i dont want him to over do it especially since he has acid reflux. A little advice please.

mccurry328

Asked by mccurry328 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• funny you brought this up, i am also trying to figure out my feedings for my daughter. I searched it on google and found that babies should eat 2.5 for each pound they are. So if your baby is 10 lbs then they should have 25 ounces a day. i am not sure how much ur little one weighs but it sould right. my baby is 3 weeks and takes 4 ounces every 3-4 hours. if he isn't spitting up then he is prob good. when he seems hungry, do you try other things first? rocking him.,...etc.
    Anonymous

• Your baby is the only one that knows how much is too much. He'll eat if he's hungry and stop when he's full. plus at six weeks a lot of babies including my own go thru a growth spurt and need more to eat. Don't worry momma as long as he isn't eating so much that he's puking afterward i'd bet he's absolutely fine.
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If you are giving 5 ounces every 3 hours you are feeding the max formula recommended. Since your baby is breastfeeding that is too much formula. You want to breastfeed first and then feed the formula.

If you are trying to increase your supply you can pump or hand express and feed the baby that in place of some or all the formula.

For more info go to kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• BABIES DO NOT GO BY CHARTS!!! Jesus. He will tell you when it's too much. The only time you have to worry about it is when he's barely eating.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2009