Feeding in the middle of the night

I am currently breastfeeding but my 6 week old son is mostly on formula because his doctor said he was not getting enough milk just from me. I have read that when they start to eat less in the middle the night they are realizing that they dont necessarily have to be waking to eat so much. He has started to not finish his bottles in the night time, and i am curious if it would be fine to only breastfeed him at night when he wakes. Is this fine or should i be more concerned about making sure he gets plenty of milk and just do both?

mccurry328

Asked by mccurry328 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try just breastfeeding in the night. You may be making more milk then.
    It's better to get a good pump and increase your supply than to feed formula.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have a great pump, but my supply slowed down from 2 ounces or so per breast to 1 ounce per breast when i pumped. We were having problems with my son not emptying my breast. I always breast feed him before he gets the formula. I really do feel like i am producing more milk at night then during the day. When i let him nurse first he falls asleep while nursing but im just worried he isn't getting enough from me alone.
    mccurry328

Answer by mccurry328 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• What you can pump means NOTHING about your supply. Why did the doctor think he wasn't getting enough from you? The ONLY way to really know is by the diaper count, NOT BY WEIGHT GAIN. If the diaper count was low, you should have been told to do what you could to bring it up. Every bottle you give tells your body that you don't need to make that milk when you really need to. I say, nurse as much as you can and count diapers. You want to be changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period. A tiny bit wet or poop counts as one and a really wet counts as two.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Aehanrahan has given you the good info. I had to pump, for 2 months, when my ds was hospitalized at 4 months of age. My milk production decreased drastically. Pumping doesn't get all of the milk out. If you would like to increase your milk production, nurse often & do away with the formula feeding one feeding at a time. You can take fenugreek until your urine smells like maple syrup. I, personally, couldn't stand to swallow the capsules. I was able to drink Mother's Milk Tea often. Both can be found in health food stores, GNC, etc. When my ds was released, I was able to nurse full-time.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2009