how long after having a baby did you wait before having sex? I know we are supposed to wait until the 6 week post natal visit, but has anyone had it sooner? i have no stitches and no pain. also, how soon did u guys go back on birth control after having a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most OB's won't put you on birth control until your 6 wk check up. You are extremely fertile after you have a baby so if you must I would be extremely careful.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I've heard of people doing it within days, but I was in so much pain after my first that I think it was at least 3 months. We tried at 6 weeks, and I was so excited to get back into it, but it was so painful I couldn't do it. I ended up getting hormone supplements from the doctor and that helped. with my second I expected it to be bad again but it was fine at 6 weeks.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We waited 4 weeks. You know your body better than a doctor, so if you feel up to it, go for it. Just take it slow at first obviously. They tell you to wait 6 weeks because of a higher chance of infection though.
    I went on birth control at my post partum check up, which was only 5 weeks post partum. Good luck!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 11:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• 3 1/2 weeks. i had an episiotomy it kinda effed up my stiches but its fine. it didnt hurt at all
    Anonymous

• I was in great physical condition and had a really easy labour so I think we waited 2-4 weeks BUT be careful. I fell pregnant when she was about 3.5 months old (and we only did it a handful of times)...... It felt just like before
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yes we waited the norm six weeks to have sex again. I did have stitches from tearing down there so I was not in the mood to even do anything I was in so much pain anyway. Till I started to heal then I wanted to do something but did not want to open up my stitches. I got back on birth control as soon as I could.
    lilmomma998

Answer by lilmomma998 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• we waited 4 weeks almost to the day to have sex again. my stitches were healed and i wasnt sore anymore.

i went on birth control at my six week post partum appointment.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 11:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We waited almost 4 weeks with the first and almost 5 weeks with the second. But as others said, be careful. You are more fertile after having a baby. We got pregnant with #2 when our first was 3 months old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Here's what I tell everyone who asks this... My best friend, who had a normal vaginal birth, and was experiencing no pain, and was in the mood, had sex at 3 weeks post-partum and ended up hospitalized (critical) for 2 weeks from a uterine infection. I would listen to the doctor's recommendation on this one; people will tell you they did it and it was fine, and I'm sure it's true... but that's not a risk I would want to take.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2009