Why is it when it comes to politics people either take the offense or defense instead of being open mined

I was at a garag sale minding my own and this couple aret talking about politics and this other woman who was looking through clothes suddenly got angry and jumped into the convo the couple were having...defending her veiws....she wasn't even apart of the disscussion to begin with.
I was just getting mad that my 4 yr old had to be hearing all this anger and hate....at a garage sale!

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 11:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is why it is considered rude to talk about politics. It's weird though, because eaves dropping is rude too. It's true though, people get very passionate about their politics and I see that as a sign of a healthy democracy. I get heated when people bash Obama without reason (not when they have rational reasoned arguments, that is just intriguing) but I am very happy to live in a place where they have the right to hold and speak their views.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think when you are so passionate about something it is hard to open your mind and really listen to what others are saying.

Garage sales ^5.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Religion, too! People always make it personal by insulting other's intelligence and calling them ignorant, so it's hard to keep any distance.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I won't change my stance on certain things. Like being a fiscal conservative. Or a small Federal Government being essential to success in this nation. But I have opened my mind and changed my stance on Gays in the Military and legalizing marijuana.
    What get's me, are the people who have a passionate stance, but cannot defend their views. Why attempt to argue if you cannot stand behind it and back it up?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009