Do you agree?

Ok, I am reading a book called When Religion Becomes Evil by Charles Kimball. He says there are five warning signs to look for. They are:
1 Absolute truth claims
2 Blind Obedience
3 Establishing the "ideal" time
4 The end justifies any means
5 Declaring holy war.
Do you agree that these are the signs of a corrupt religion? If not, what do you think they are?
-Ashley
And no, I don't just mean Christian religions.

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Before I answer- a question, what does #3 mean?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I totally agree that's why I don't believe in organized religion.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• yeah, i was confused by #3 too. is it talking about end times?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I agree.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I think all of those things sound pretty scary to me. I, personally, think religion should be a personal thing and everyone should worship the way that works for them. Organizing religion just makes for confusion and problem IMO.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• #3 means trying to change the present to suit the past instead of trying to adapt to modern times. Like people who want to go "back to the way it was" and are willing to do anything (well almost anything) to change it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I totally agree.
    Hence why I am an antitheist.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I pretty much agree. I've said things similar to that for years. I'm not really into organized religion. I'm eclectic Pagan, and I don't think my beliefs have any of those warning signs lol. However, while I was Christian... I'd say the churches I was taken to believed in all but like one of those.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i agree
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• i agree. those are scary! ive been to some really strict churches, but they only ever taught #1 (which is a Christian staple in 95% of churches). and ive seen #2 but its always someone choosing to be that way b/c its too hard to learn for themselves (they're lazy). & #3 ive only ever heard from old ppl & those that are so religious i consider them nuts haha...and certain Christian conservatives who wont be happy till everyones Christian again (like they ever were!)

i would be very concerned if someone in my family ever reached step 2.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2009