Would you let your ex take you kids over night if you had no way to get to them

Ok. My car got repo'd due to income decrease. Basically my ex quit paying child support 7 months ago and we have struggled with the payment ever since. I have let him continue to see the kids though. A little background. Ex lives with parents and borrows their car to come pick my kids up and bring them home. I have on a couple occasions had to go get them b/c ex's dad wouldn't let him use the car to bring them home or they didn't have the gas. Once I had to go get them b/c ex blew a tire on the interstate. Well now I do not have that option. If anything happens to my kids while they are with the ex I will be hopeless to get them. Ex lives 40 minutes away from me. I worry a lot when they are with him. I have sole custody and he will try to keep them longer . With him not having a car and having to rely on other people would you let your ex come get the kids for the weekend if you had no way to get to them if something happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you think he will try to keep them longer then no. However, arrange for him to visit with them at your house or something amicable like that. Not only do your kids get to see their dad (and that is the right thing) but ou look good in court in case custody issues come up. win win, even if you hate him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If my ex stopped paying child Support I wouldnt let my kids go anywhere with him.. Youre raising those kids not him you need the money more than he probably does with Mommy and daddy supporting him
    Anonymous

• If it is court ordered....then yes.

I am not sure otherwise.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'd hate the thought, but can you keep the kids from him? Legally, it might look bad. If he's understanding though, he might work with you on this. If not, it might be a risk you unfortunately have to take.

Can you ask a friend or family member in advance to borrow their car or give you a ride if need be?
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Yes, I would. He has a right to see his kids, whether he's paying child support or not. You don't have a way to get them to him, but as long as he has a way to pick them up, then he should be able to see them. After all, it's about the kids, not our comfort.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• He is court ordered "Reasonable Visitation" there is no set schedule. My lawyer had it set this way for a reason. He said basically as long as he sees them 1 day a month its reasonable and it doesnt have to be overnight. All of my family lives an hour or more away from me and I have basically no friends.
    Anonymous

• Well, with reasonable visitation, then No. I wouldnt let them go.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• If it's not court ordered that he gets them overnight I wouldn't let him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• What does child support have to do with visitation? I wish some of you single women would wise up. A child NEEDS to have a relationship with their father, whether or not he has fallen behind in child support! If he has court-ordered visitation, then you don't have a choice. Make sure your kids get to see their dad, and put your pride aside. If you hated him so much, then why did you have kids with him??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The person above me needs to reread the damn question. I never said I was single. I never said I hated my ex. What I said was even though he has stopped paying support I have let him continue to see my kids (some wouldnt). The reason I brought up support was to explain that my income decreased to no fault of my own. I am married and have been for 7 years. I was not considering cutting off his visitation, I just dont want him to take the kids 40 minutes away from me when he has no guaranteed way to get them home and I cannot get to them should something happen.
    Anonymous