Keeping My Placenta

OK, here's the scenario again. I want to keep my placenta. My hospital is saying they won't give it to me when I leave. What are my legal rights? Last time I asked, everyone had an opinion about what I would DO with it (I.E. eating it, freezing it, burying, ect.) and how gross it was to keep it, as opposed to whether or not I CAN keep it. If someone knows anything about my LEGAL RIGHTS to keeping it, please answer.

Gothiclovesick

Asked by Gothiclovesick at 11:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The only article that I can find that might be even remotely helpful is a 2006 one that says it is now legal to keep your placenta in Hawaii

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm?aid=2841 Sorry, I couldn't find anything else.

Good Luck to you!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• THAT'S NASTY!
    Anonymous

• I wish I knew the answer for you... regardless of what you want to do with it (though I think planting it with a tree is cool!) it is YOURS and you should be able to keep it! I bet there are some whacked out "laws/rules" that the hospital will make up about it being a "biohazard" or something stupid.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm doing a google search... first listing is YOURS! LOL!! I'm still looking just because I think this is interesting!!

I will let you know if I find anything useful.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Anonymous, are you done? Didn't I just ask people to be objective?
    Gothiclovesick

Answer by Gothiclovesick at 11:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• just found pictures of the sandwich and pasta http://www.momlogic.com/2009/04/i_ate_the_placenta.php

Blah! That looks nasty!

Still looking for legal stuff....
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• LOL, a sandwich? That's is a little bit nasty. At least cook it.
    Gothiclovesick

Answer by Gothiclovesick at 11:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• try this: http://www.justanswer.com/law/lawyer?r=ppc|ga|1|Law|Lawyer&JPKW=ask%20a%20lawyer&JPDC=S&JPST=&JPAD=2325215793&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20090601-1&JPRC=1&JPOP=AccountWideOmar&gclid=CIq7haufz5sCFQxDxwodXUKeTA

I was going to ask the question myself and give you the lawyer's answer, but they want to send it to my email address.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I'm not trying to be rude, just curious, but why do you want to keep it? I never even thought of it before. I am interested to know the legal answer!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• From what I have found it looks like when you have a hospital birth it is entirely up to the hospital what happens with the placenta. You could ask what would happen if you chose to do a Lotus Birth(keeping baby attached to the placenta until the whole thing falls off) and just cutting the cord when you get home.

Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2009