How can I get my 4 month old to take a bottle?

My daughter is 16 weeks and about a month ago she started putting up a big fight anytime I would leave her with a sitter and they would try to give ever a bottle... all she wants is boob! what can I do? She used to take a bottle , but it seems like all a sudden it's like torture or something to her. It's not like I'm trying to give her formula in the bottle either. I pump and put breast milk in the bottle. I can't be with her 24/7... sometimes I got appointments or want to go to the gym, or wanna go to the market without her... or just need some me time! Has wanyone came across this problem? How did you get your little one to take the bottle?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 11:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try changing the type of bottle or nipple you are using. I found the playtex brown nipples make an easy transition. You might also change the flow of the nipple to more mimic your breast (fast vs. slow flows). You may also have to just leave and let someone else feed her while you are not there. If your DD can smell you in teh room, she won't want the bottle. Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 12:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• If its not for very long your baby can go without eatting, its called reverse cycling. Leave that bottle and the baby and if the baby refuses the bottle she will nurse extra when you get home to make up for it I promise. If a baby can sleep through the night for 8 hours without nursing then a baby can go a few hours without taking the bottle waiting for the boob..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Make sure she is not starved when is is offered the bottle. Leave the room. Have someone else give her the bottle. She may be sensitive to the temp so make it appropriately warm. Wide nipple work best for breastfed babies, but have a few different one on hand to see what she prefers. She'll get it...don't worry. Had 4 breastfed babies, all had pacifiers, all took bottles with dad, grandma, and sitters. Trust yourself, you can find waht she likes.
    aferictam

Answer by aferictam at 12:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 17 weeks and the exact same way. she used to take a bottle when needed, but no way will she take it these days. we've tried everything to get her to take the bottle. everyone told me that if she were hungry enough she'd take the bottle and that is so not true! i left her with her grandma about two weeks ago and she cried for hours until we got home. but, i recently purchased a sippy cup for 3months+ and she'll actually take it.
    terahg

Answer by terahg at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2009