Racism or a "Safety issue"?

Do you believe this guy even after his comments about the "complexion" and the "atmosphere" of the club?

I don't. I think this is disgraceful and disgusting. I am totally appalled that this happened in 2009!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/10/philly.pool.response/index.html

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 11:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There are now 3 investigations into the clubs practices and if they are denying members based on skin color etc...Arlen Spector has initaiated one of them (which I am sure he will use as "street cred" when he starts campaigning) .

..I'm sorry, but when your initial statement MENTIONS cpmplexion as THE reason they were booted, I tend to believe it! Not the made up , PC answer your lawyers told you to give later. Its disgusting and the school should bus them kids down there every week for the amount of thim they woul dhave been swimming and protest out front til they close that place down....It will teach the kids an important lesson about fighting for what's right ....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• He also has himself labled as "progressive" and an Obama supporter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• That guy supports whatever his club members tell him to support. He is a pig and that club should be shut down. SICK!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 5:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with etsmom.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 8:42 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I was willing to wait for the other side of the story, but I think they are having a hard time coming up with anything that sounds legitimate. If the camp signed up 60 temporary memberships and they accepted the money, the safety excuse suddenly is off the table. If they didn't have the amount of staff (lifeguards I am guessing is what they are saying?) for the amount of membership they signed, then they are negligent. If it's only a certain number of kids that could swim at once, they could have worked out a schedule with the campers of half the group swimming while the other half does another activity.

I wouldn't want to be a part of a club that excludes members like they do. It's a private club, so I guess they can make their own rules, but they should be prepared to go down with the ship when the sh*t hits the fan.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Honestly, I think it is a mixture of both. I'm not in any way supporting what the club did, but I can see the safety issue thing. Especially if there were so many kids that were not very good swimmers (one of the articles I read stated that as a concern). We go to a neighborhood pool and not a private, exclusive club, but the lifeguards there are very strict with parents of kids who are not strong swimmers. The parent must be within arms length at all times. With a day camp that is not possible since there is not one adult for each child. So I can sort of see the safety issue thing... HOWEVER, I really think there is more to it than just a safety thing in this case.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2009