braxton hicks?

how will I know when they have started? i don't understand how im "supposed" to know.. i don't get it? what are the signs what am i looking for? what am I supposed to feel?

akalei

Asked by akalei at 11:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't worry, you'll know.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• BH contractions are normally just a tightening of your stomach muscles that lasts 15 to 30 seconds. Some women don't feel them at all and some claim for them to even be painful but thats not normally the case.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My doctor told me that the period like cramps I'm getting are BH contractions, but I have no idea because I don't really get the "tightening" feeling everyone else talks about except for after sex. I'm in the same boat of not knowing.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• You will just know there will become a more constant pattern and moving around or drinking water will not help to ease these were you can try and move around to see if the BH will stop and also hydrating yourself will help with the false contractions. When you are in true labor you pains should get more intense and you will start feeling pressure around your bottom with the contractions.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 12:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• you will know. it's a tight sharp quick pain. im told its the practice for real contractions. haven't made it that far yet though.
    kyleeannebaby

Answer by kyleeannebaby at 12:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The only indication i get them is a mild cramping-- kinda like a period cramp but usually a hardening of the uterus for a short time.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I started getting them at like 19 weeks, I have a friend who is 24 weeks and she still doesn't know what they are/realize she's having them. I knew I was having them because mine were caused by dehydration (therefor they were slightly painful). They didn't hurt, but I could definatly feel when they were happening. I have them all day long now; When I have to pee, when I get done peeing, when I lay down on my back on a hard surface, or if something "startles" you...sometimes it triggers it. If you think you're having one, start feeling your whole belly. Depending on how far along you are, 20 weeks or further, you should be able to follow your hard uterus all the way up past your belly button. If it seems only hard in one spot, you're most likely feeling your babies back. If it's hard aaaall over, it's a contraction.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 1:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I never felt them with my first child and now that I am pregnant with my second I have felt them. Contractions are sort of new to me anyway since with my first I didnt even have contractions when I went into labor, my water just broke and then I had horrible back ache but not like some people describe it, some say its just in the lower back but mine was my whole back andno matter what position I was in it hurt.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2009