do you think a 1/2 birtday party is silly? my son was born on x-mas eve and he'll never be able 2 have a back yard party because it'll always be so cold and my mom has the best backyard so I really want 2 give him a party in it. Would you bring your child or do you think it's a waste of time

1/2 birthday party (Would you bring your child 2 1?)

Asked by MsKeeta at 11:41 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my brother always had a half birthday, it was good for him, but this was a very long time ago. The only problem was that his half birthday always came right around my Dad's and my birthday. However we didn't mind. I think it is a fun thing to do

Answer by teddy41 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I think maybe people would be more likely to come if you called it something else. Like, "Come party this summer! Join us for (insert name)'s awesome backyard barbecue!" Or a "just for fun pool party", if you have a pool. There are many creative ways to approach this. And gifts would be odd to bring to a BBQ or pool party that are not for a birthday, so just make presents a family thing. Hope this helps. :)

Answer by kayla-nicole at 11:57 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I think it is a great way to make it special just for him. Birthdays tend to get lost in the Christmas shuffle, at least for the children that I know of. We have a Dec 19 niece, and she gets gypped on her birthday each year. People are cramped for time and money around the holidays, not to mention the fact that the weather here generally sucks during that time of year.

What we do is capitalize on the "1/2" concept...1/2 a cake, etc. Lots of ideas about that on the web.

Answer by Kauna at 12:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have a friend who always celebrates 1/2 birthdays. It's usually just a family thing, though. I think having a BBQ and inviting others over, but not making it a formal "birthday party" would be fine.

Answer by goldenfox at 1:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• No i think thats a wonderful idea!!! PARTY ON!!

Answer by fireflymom71 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Wonderful idea!!

Answer by fireflymom71 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Omg, that's such a good idea! My little girl was born on January 4th, so I imagine she's gonna get a little gypped on presents and things.She turns six months old on the 4th of July so we can just make that her 1/2 birthday celebration!

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 4:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Great Idea! You rock Momma!

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 5:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• This is a great idea. I did it one year when I took my daughter to Disney for her fourth bday. We gave her tickets in December but celebrated in Disney! We did have a pool party at the local Y but I know what you mean about having a summertime party. I would just make sure you explain no party in December, once a year is what you're aiming for.

Answer by manna1qd at 5:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• if your not having a party for them in dec then i dont see why you couldnt have one in the summer...GL

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 5:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2008