When does "male bonding" begin?

DS used to watch for me to enter the room and would always call for me. But now, it's like I'm old news. He doesn't care if I leave, but he will scream if his dad walks away. Most of the time when I am playing with him or getting him ready, he asks and looks for da-da. Is it normal for him to be relating to a male figure so early (he is only 14 months old). I feel like he doesn't like me anymore.

gwood

Asked by gwood at 11:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I found that all three of my kids (one boy, two girls) had times when they would favour one parent over another. It wasn't always the same parent- sometimes they were all about mom and sometimes they were all about dad. I have noticed that as the kids get older, they tend to treat dad like the 'fun' parent and me like the 'reliable' parent. If they want to play a game they will go get dad, if they need to be fed, hugged, or have a problem solved they go find me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My boys have always been like that. In fact, the oldest was so bad that when we got pregnant with #2 my dh jokingly said, maybe you will get one that likes you now! lol Well, I didn't, they are both very much daddy's boys (they are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 now) My oldest was 13 months when we got pregnant with #2 and it was already that bad. Now I am pregnant with #3 who is a girl but I am just preparing myself that she is going to like daddy best as well. But when they are sick and really tired they do usually want me, so I know that I am loved still.
    Anonymous

• awww! My son's 15 months. Last month he was exactly like that with his dad. I was furniture and daddy was made of gold, sugar and sports cars. lol Seriously, my son would've crawled up inside my husband last month if he could've.

This month it's my turn. I really hope it's his turn again soon! :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yes, your DS has become "aware" that daddy is great! Our FS was so stuck on me that DH wondered if he even liked him, LOL! But then one day when I said something about "Daddy" he RAN to the front to see if he could see him coming in, but was disappointed when I said he was at work, LOL! Dads are fun, exciting, playful, "Wheee!" and moms are like, "eat your peas, stop playing-I need to change your diaper, don't eat the dog food, etc." LOL! So, yes it's normal! But I do find whenever I have gone to run an errand and return, he's in the front window doing the "Mommy's Home!" dance and squealing! It's all very wonderful!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2009