What is the deal with so many people being against the military lately?

I have noticed quite a few of these today and I don't get it? It seems like a lot of people are against the military and I do not know why? maybe I am naive but I always thought the military was here to protect us. I was in the Army myself for 6 years, hubby has been in for 7, my whole family to put it short has been in or is currently in. I just dont get it. I remember I was at the gas station getting gas, right outside of base and this car full of civilians flipped me off yelling something nasty to me in the form that I was a baby killer. Im just wondering why on Earth would someone do that? I was in uniform. It really upset me, because that is def not true. Im just wondering thats all. Thank you.

mamaof32007

Asked by mamaof32007 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because you are killing people. You can join the military and expect to not kill someone. The fact that their supposed to protect us means nothing. Terrorists attacks are still happening and no one is doing anything about it. Ii understand the federal government controls what the military does, but we're not kicking ass where it needs to be kicked. Sadam Hussain got off easy. He should've been tortured and then killed. Most people in the military will kill someone-usually an innocent person. Also, eighty five percent of the people join the military because they think their going to get paid lots of money or they just want an adventure-not to protect us. I will never understand how anyone can voluntarily join something that's going to make them leave their families. That doesn't seem very hero-like to me. I'm not saying I don't support the military. I just understand some of why other people don't.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• sarapurser that statement is beyond crazy.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don't know but it's sad.

And sara, my husband has been in 10 years and has never killed anyone. Just because you join to serve your country doesn't mean you expect to kill someone at some point.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 12:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Sarapurser,

In every war people get killed. Our soldiers have gotten killed so it is not just Iraqis getting killed. Soldiers go out there on a mission, they need to protect themselves its not like we can go into a combat zone without weapons. We do not shoot first, the enemy always fires first! We learned that in Basic! Of course soldiers dont join because they think they will get a huge paycheck! They know what the pay is like! Then leaving there families? It takes a big person to step up and willingly leave there families for months at a time. I know my husband does it, because he loves this country and his family. I did the same!
    mamaof32007

Answer by mamaof32007 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don't understand why people are hateful to the military. I may not agree with some things but people don't seem to understand that its not the military's choice to do what they do it is the presidents choice. Military orders for the most part come from the president as far as i understand ( i mean if he is "commander in Chief" or what ever then military personnel is just following orders so there is no reason to be hateful to soldiers if you have a problem with what the military is doing go to the source and hate on them.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• How exactly are they protecting anybody?? We had the National Gaurd and thousands of soilders overseas and we still got bombed in 911. You people believe what you want-not my problem.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Sara, where in heavens name do you get your silly statistics from? How do you know why people join the military?

Plus, not everyone who joins is going to kill someone. In fact, many never will. My husband is on a ballistic missile submarine, if they ever have to kill someone with a missile, you will sure as hell be glad they are protecting you, because it will be a serious, serious situation. Odds are, my husband will never hurt a fly. Your response is full of assumptions about people you will never know. How can you stereotype every person in the military? Are you aware that there are more to the military than the Army and Marines? Like the Coast Guard maybe? Pretty sure not every Coastie is out there taken down innocent civilians with an M-16.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Sara,

really? What did you expect the military to do during 911? Soldiers (every branch) protects every single US citizen. Still to this day if I were to be called back up I would gladly go, I would have to leave my 3 year old, and my 22 month old twins but I would feel good knowing I was doing something to help protect my family and country!
    mamaof32007

Answer by mamaof32007 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Be dumbasses, I don't care-not my problem.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Sara, how about you answer some of the questions asked of you rather than turn to childish name calling? I want to know where your 85% came from.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2009