lifting heavy boxes while pregnant?

i am 7 weeks prego and i was lifting some heavy boxes because i am moving? Is that bad for it being my 1st trimeter?

missvonnie22

Asked by missvonnie22 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No as long as it is not hurting when you lift. My OB let me work as a nurse in hospice picking up patients until it starting hurting in my side and he just told me to be careful not to over do it and if there was any discomfort to stop.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 12:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• i picked up heavy things all thro out my first baby. everything was fine. but when you get more into your pregency, take more of a easy and like the first girl said as long as it does not hurt.
    de_sly

Answer by de_sly at 12:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• yes it's bad. Find the dead beat dude who knocked you up and tell him to move that crap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don't know if it will hurt just doing it for a short period of time or not. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I had a job that required a lot of heavy lifting all day. I didn't think it was a problem, until I went into pre-term labor at 7 months. Luckily, the Dr.'s stopped it, but I had to stay on strict bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy. That sucked! With my second daughter, I was very careful not to lift too much, and my pregnancy continued without complication. So, I think that a lot of lifting is bad!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• It's less dangerous in your first trimester than it is in your second or third. In the later stages of pregnancy, your body produces a chemical to make it easier for the pelvis bones to "stretch" to accommodate a growing baby, and to make delivery easier. Unfortunately these chemicals don't just target the pelvis, so it's much easier to strain (or even hyperextend) a joint when lifting something too heavy. As long as you're comfortable, and don't overdo things, you should be fine. Just make sure you're practicing proper lifting techniques.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2009