Question (for Christians only, please) about organized religion

I am confused about why some Christians don't think it is necessary to join a church and worship there regularly.

What do you think about this bible verse:

Hebrews 10:25 (New International Version)
25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

I think the verse implies that your faith shouldn't only be about your personal relationship with Jesus, but should be lived out in a church setting. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• One meaning for the word 'religion' is 'to bind' - it's about binding oneself to a set of beliefs that ais true. By rejecting organized 'religion' a person doesn't have to bind themselves to anything - they're free to interpret and do what they want. They can pick and choose what they want. Which to me is a bit self-centered and ignores Christ's teachings about the unity of believers. People who shun "organized religion" may seem "free" but in truth they are like "spiritual orphans", with no mother or father, no family in which they belong.
    Anonymous

• I think it refers to have relationships with other christians but not necessarily in a church setting. There is a verse that says where two are gathered in my name, I'll be there. something similar to it. I'm WAY too tired to look it up
    Erised

Answer by Erised at 12:23 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Church is very important but I don't think it's necessary. We don't go every single week but we go at least every other. I think it's important to commune with like-minded people and to support one another in our faith.

The "church" that most people refer to is just a building. The "church" that Christians need to focus on is the body of Christ.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree with you,Op
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I don think church is necessary. As long as you perhaps join a bible group, the verse applies. But the Bible does say when people gather in his name, he is there.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Because people like to pick and choose what they want to follow. The Bible is our guidebook for life. If we truly want to follow the Lord, we need to read the Bible and try to follow what it says. We need to give our lives to the Lord and not try to do things our own way.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 4:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I no longer attend church...any church...because I am tired of how political they have become. Weren't Christians told to be separate from the world? I think it is important to have fellowship with other Christians, but until churches stop "teacing the commandments of men as if they are the commandments of God" (sorry, don't remember the verse but Christ said that to the Pharisees) I won't attend a church.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• And then there was the verse that says that whenever two of God's followers meet in one place He, too, will be there.
    A lot of the time church can interfere with someone's spiritual progress and can hinder their spiritual growth. Not to mention that church really does imply the body of Christians as a whole, and not a specific building. As long as you have fellowship of some kind I think you're fine.The point isn't about going to church, but about joining together in fellowship, whether to pray or to study or to praise God. Its about joining together as Christians, and not about the specifics of a church setting. Church is just one way (of many) we can fulfill this kind of fellowship. Here on CafeMom is another (if you're in the right groups), as are home based Bible studies, community outreach opportunities/programs, and much, much more.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Church is not necessary for salvation.

I do, however, believe that God blesses the church. Jesus taught in large groups, his apostles lead churches, "where two or more meet together in my name....." The NT says that Jesus is the new law and that we are encouraged to find our own day of worship. I walk with God daily but my love for God also instills in me a passion to worship with other believers and gather together with them to learn more about the God we serve and glean knowledge off of one another.

Church is also just one of the many outlets that I use to help others and serve the community.

We're not hiding in cattacombs, being used as human torches in Nero's garden or being impaled for what we believe for gathering together in his name. I take advantage of my freedom because I am SO thankful to have it! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I agree very much with Bandgeek. I've personally had some absolutely terrible experiences with a few churches. In fact one incident made me leave my faith completely for years. Now we are trying to find a church where both my husband and I feel comfortable. But until then, we find others ways to have fellowship.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2009