Are churches told what they aren't allowed to say by the government?

Are churches told what they aren't allowed to say during the sermons by the government? Does the governent have ANY role what-so-ever within the church? Do you think it will?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is OP--by "role" I mean jurisdiction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I honestly would hope not. That would be a complete overstepping of seperation of church and state.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• But isn't the separation of church and state really only for tax issues?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• In order for churches to keep a tax exempt status they can't do things like publicly endorse a candidate and donate money to their campaign. Basically, they can't promote a political agenda. I know that the LDS religion has a petition against it because the actual church donated money to the prop 8 campaign in California. TBH, I agree. I used to be LDS, and I have nothing against the religion. But I do think religions should NOT be allowed to promote or be involved with any political agenda PERIOD. If a group of their members choose to get involved, that's fine. But I don't think the religion should actually get involved directly. The only time I'd be OK with this is if a religion's rights were being threatened, then yes, they should get involved. But, for instance, gay marriage doesn't actually threaten a religions rights, it simply offends them.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 12:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• There will be a time in or lifetime according to the bible that church and state will marry. Blue laws will come back and there will such persecution of God's people as there has NEVER been before! It will start with selling maybe or even traveling distance, how far and what you can do on Sunday then might go so far as worship on sunday or DIE! I hope God gives me the strength I need for the coming time of trouble.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The law does say that if if it causes imminent harm to a person's life/liberty, then yes the religion/church cannot do it. IE Sacrifices. Yes there are religions in the US that have had some kind of sacrificial rituals of some kind. Maybe not death, but harmful anyhow.

That's another thing the law has a hand in anyway.
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 10:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• As a previous poster stated, there are tax laws (which is the government) for organizations, not just religious ones, that if they wish to remain as a C3 non-profit exempt status, they cannot endorse or publicly reference political figures/parties/etc. Nor can they collect money with the specific intent for it to be used for political use, such as raising funds to support a campaign. I think then they have to be filed as a C4 non-profit organization.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• government controls everything whether we see it or not
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2009