How do I stop my 4 year old from being so mean?

My 4 year old daughter is really starting to give my husband and I a real attitude problem lately. Even our parents (her grandparents) are taking notice to it when they babysit her. ( she gets snippy with them too) In general, she is a very sweet,and loving girl, she just has days where she is absolutely miserable. Is this just a phase or what?

ginger813

Asked by ginger813 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Please be a phase!!!!!!!!!!! My 4 year old daughter is getting bratty and quick to tell you "No" so matter of factly that your left speechless for a few seconds while she proceeds to do whatever it is she was doing as if no one said anything. But sometimes she is the cutest little angel in the world so you forget she is also a devious little monster too. So again I say..."Please be a stage!!!!!"
    CBMMOM

Answer by CBMMOM at 1:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Even adults have "days" when they're in bad moods. It's called being human. Just remind her rules about speaking respectfully when she starts to get snippy, but when she's having a bad day, respect it and find ways of helping her learn to understand the way she's feeling internally and learning how to say, "I'm in a bad mood today." Maybe those are days where she needs more time to herself - if so, then give her what she needs. Just remember to respect her needs and teach her to still be respectful even when she's in a bad mood.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2009