my son is speech delayed.. i have him seeing someone once week.. he is only two. no word at all.. i feel weird abt it

.. is that normal.. like im sad abt him nt saying mom or dad.. and i want to defend how bright he is ... BC my god he is really smart. but i get like why doesnt he talk, i only say this to myself though. bc i feel bad

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• my ? is .. is it normal to feel weird..?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I'm not sure what you mean by feeling "weird", but it is totally normal to feel sadness, guilt, grief even, when a child has a developmental difference, but the feelings pass & soon all you will have is the joy in your son's accomplishments.

You are doing the right thing by getting him into therapy now and progress will come, one way or another, in time & with practice.

When asked why doesn't he talk, just say he doesn't have anything to say right now & let it go at that. If people persist, tell them he'll do it when HE is ready to, not when we are ready for him to. Speech does not automatically mean intelligent (just think about politicians!) and lack of speech does not automatically equate with a lack of intelligence (Einstein didn't talk until he was 3, and still very little even then!).

Hugs mama & know that you are not alone!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Hi :)
    Speech therapy can do wonders for our children. There may be a reason he isn't talking..on the other hand, some kids are just "late talkers". Don't worry, just continue to be a great and supportive mom. You are doing the right things and are on the right track to get your little man the help he needs to progress.
    Please come by and visit the Developmental Delays group sometime..
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/developmentaldelays
    or feel free to come by and visit me or PM me anytime
    You are not alone!
    *HUGS*
    peasntatersmom

Answer by peasntatersmom at 9:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My son is the same way, very smart - Like Archatect smart - but just wouldn't talk. He had a few words but would cry when we tried to get him to use them. The terapist came once a week for an hour in to our home and now, at 2 he bairly needs the therapy. He just chatters away... We just got him in with a new program for ages 3-5 and the therapist told me he has all the sounds he just isn't sure where to put them, in fact he has sounds he shouldn't at this age. So he's doing well.

As for feeling weird, ummm, the only one I feel strange around is my mother. She thinks it's my fault that he has speech issues. She doesn't understand why he can't sing his ABCs by 3... She said if I was a better mother my kid would be on the ball... So, she's the only one that bugs me. Otherwise I just say he has a speech issue because his brain is to busy learning everything else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• As far as your mother when you receive information from the therapist share it with her. If you can, have her observe so she can see where he is struggling. I have had my son in therapy for years now. He is 9 and even though it is summer he is still receiving it to refine it. It can take months or years depending on what he needs just try to teach your mother as well. I know it is hard but it can be done. My son is 9 and my in-laws finally received information this past spring about his cleft. So sometimes it takes awhile.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009