how do i find a preschool for my son?

how do i search for one in my area?
I need to get my son enrolled soon!!!
LOL
Please and thank you

TravisJohnsmama

Asked by TravisJohnsmama at 12:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Good luck to you. I am in the same boat and have just decided to call around to the local churches and ask about preschools and see if I can get some info...
    karladiane

Answer by karladiane at 8:42 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Have you tried contacting the school? The majority of the elementary schools here have a Pre K. It doesn't hurt to call and ask. Usually there is somebody in the office during the summer.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• There is a free Universal PreK that is starting to be offered by most schools here in NY. It fills up fast though and we didn't get in due to moving. There's headstart if you qualify. I did a google search online for my area and it didn't bring up much. Many churches offer nursery schools that are open to anyone so that is probably the best place to start. Getting ahold of them now in the summer is a challenge though. Many do offer summer programs too. The best place to look here was a bulletin board at our library...it had about 5 different preschools on there with registration forms.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Go to the ones in your area...ask friends that you know have had their kids in that Preschool...just go. Don't make an appt. Look for clues. Ask to speak to the person in charge. Tell them you would like a tour. If they don't give you one...leave. Also, ask questions....especially this one...Do you have a RECORD OF YOUR DHS booklet? If they say no...leave. If they do...look at it...look for complaints against anything that you think will raise a red flag. Also, ask about the teacher's credentials. Ask if the teacher has had any college courses? What kind. . Ask if any teachers are certified. Look at the children...do they look happy or do they cry all the time. Does the teacher have any control? What types of field trips or extra curriculum do they offer for children. Look at the teachers. Are they calm or are they yelling? Just some things I looked for when I was looking for a daycare for my son. oh and some preschools hav

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• contin. have cameras...if you do find one...every once in a while show up early...good luck
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Enrolled soon? Yikes! It took me forever to find what I wanted for my son. I toured all the local public schools, private schools, and did research about homeschooling. In the end I choose a private school. There were so many to choose from. So many church programs in our area that I had to just narrow down the search to about a dozen or so that I could tour. I found one that was acceptable and it was truly great compared to the ones in our area. Then I found the Montessori program in our area and despite already paying fees and tuition for one school....I sucked it up and enrolled him in Montessori. It fit our lifestyle and our child to perfection. If there is such a thing as perfect - it was an absoulute perfect fit. Two years of searching for the right school and we found it. Best advice: hit the pavement and just keep touring. You will eventually find one.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Look for programs that have a curriculum they follow. Make sure that the curriculum has hands on learning activities and not just worksheets all day. Children learn best through play, using all their senses. Ask questions. Do they do art during the school day? Outside play? How many are in the class with how many adults. Is the program 4days or 5?
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2009