k well we just got a dog and after i gave him a bath i think i found fleas....

i found a bug in the tub and one on the towel i was using how do i know for sure i've never seen fleas before and i'm worried that it can be harmful to my child and could it hav infested our home already we just got him today? are there bugs that look like fleas? please help i'm so paranoid i even have one in a baggie but i cant take a pic of it too small for my camera

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I used to be the same way! but i actually found out fleas can come from outside even if you don't have pets they live in the grass. you can always get your dog a flea collar just in case an you can also buy ( not sure what its called) but the stuff you sprinkle on your carpet.. it'll kill the fleas or they have sprays.

as for your child i would just keep an eye on him/her make sure they don't receive any bites. im sure everything will be fine though! good luck!!
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 1:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Just put the dog in the bathroom for the night get some flee meds tomarroe and treat him. Vacum the house really good tomight and tomarrow after you treat him and take the bags out as soon as you are done. Or if it is bagless dump the container into a bag out side asap. If you just got the dog today you should be fine.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Fleas are tiny & their bodies are flat side to side. I hope you don't have fleas. I lived in the South where it was hot & humid. We were never able to get rid of them. (They multiplied faster than guppies or mice.) If you think the dog has fleas, take the dog to the vet & have it dipped. Buy the flea bombs & use them in your house. We used Frontline to help control them. If they become really bad, they won't harm your child. They will bite anything that has blood. Their bites itch & they will look for food if there are too many of them and not enough dog.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• :-) Most likely it's a flea. I live outside Houston...hot, humid, fleas come with the package..pet or no pet. I did some research because I have so S-kids and their BM's have pets in the house and they don't treat for fleas, so I have to treat the house every 2wks. PAIN! I found a way to keep from having to treat so often that you'll never believe. Iodized Salt. Yep. Table Salt. You sprinkle it around edges of the walls on tile/wood floors & especially under appliances & in carpets & furniture. You vacuum daily for a week taking the bag directly out like suggested in earlier post, then repeat once per week. Safe for kids & pets. Also, Frontline is the best product I've found for the pets. If that fails call a professional. Don't try to do it yourself, you'll spend the same $$. Make sure he will come back in 2wks to repeat as part of the $$. The eggs hatch in 2wks. The bites look like tiny red dots & itch like mad. Good luck!
    2TimeWSM

Answer by 2TimeWSM at 4:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Fleas are very common in hot, humid areas. They are just in the grass and everywhere, so whether you have pets or not, they can jump on your pants or socks as you walk inside the house and there you go. Fleas..
    Fleas are really small, and black. They like to scoot really fast under the dog's fur and kind of "burrow" down to hide. If you wash him in a flea bath, they'll scatter like crazy making the dog scratch. Always wash the head last, because that's where they'll flock too in the bath during a treatment. If you try to pick one off your pet with your fingers, and it jumps, it's a flea.....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2009