Ok I talked to my mom today...*christian*

We talked on proper christian entertainment. I enjoy watching showsl ike Stargate SG-1 andStar Trek/Star Wars. I also enjoy the fantasy worlds where magic is a means of making stuff happen wether good or bad. Now I talked to her about HP and LOTR and Narnia. To me just on HP, it seems likea good story. Teaches morals, although it does have an occult setting. In the last book Harry has to make a HARD decision. In order to defeat Voldemort *the evil guy of teh whoe series* Harry has to die as well since they are connected. Well I see this as a good thing. He made a tough choice for the good of the rest of the world. But I asked her what's so different from HP then from Snow White and such and she basically inclined that she didn't want me to watch those growing up either but my dad's an unbeliever so what can yah do? I have never thuoght of those movies as evil or occultish. They taught morals! What's your opinion?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 1:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As for Narnia....
    Growing up, Narnia was a banned book in our locally religiously-nuetral public schools because it is indeed based on the story of salvation in the Bible (C.S. Lewis is a Christian). Aslan is Jesus, the two oldest children are Adam and Eve, Lucy is Mary, Edmund is "the sinner" as well as Judas, "Santa" is John the Baptist, The witch is human nature/death/satan, the stone table is the 10 commandments as well as the tomb, the dark magic is the "order of the world" as well as "the law," the stone creatures that came back to life when breathed upon were sinners "dead to sin" and "made alive by the Holy Spirit."

I used to have a lot of the book memorised (I was in LWW play) and know a lot more of them but it's been a REALLY long time :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I sent you a post on Harry Potter. I am assuming that is who HP is?
    It wouldn't all fit here.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 1:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I personally see nothing wrong with HP, LOTR (even though i never liked them), Narnia, or even the Disney movies. Its all entertainment and as long as you teach your child the difference between reality and fantasy, there's no problem.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I've heard that Narnia has a Biblical metaphorical meaning.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I heard Narnia is occultic in alot of ways and the people who made the film made it sound Christian because it's a so called Christian author and they used him and his book to make lots of money because there's a big 'Christian' audience out there! I can tell you like to watch mystery and adventure and if your not a Christian then go right ahead and watch it.I'm a Christian and I love watching ghost hunters but I watch it for learning about History and different cultures,countries, I love looking at old houses and staircases and alot of their locations have that but I have to be careful that I don't watch the part about when they talk to the ghosts because I don't believe in ghosts,demons yes who imitate the living and try to trick us about life after death.Why would they want to do that?Then there's no God, no heaven, no Hell. Other shows I love is Bear Gyrills Man vs. wild and reality shows. I don't get into soap operas cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I can't read rommance novels or any other books I get bored, I just like reading present day stuff like fashion magazines, the newspaper,decorating shows, house hunters,and anything else that clean without violence and bad language because if I watch shows like that, I will begin to act like it,that's why God commands us to live pure clean lives. I admire you for watching starwars or any sci-fi ,I can't I'm just wired differently, except I like watching u.f.o. and crop circle's, I've always was into mystery even as a little girl but I have to watch it sparingly because it's interesting but I don't believe in u.f.o., I believe they are demonic beings sent from Satan to warn the world about the last days. I think entertainment on t.v. has become more violent in the movies too, so I don't go to movies but there's alot of clean shows and good things to watch, so I'm happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I love fantasy fiction..HP is one of my favorites. My church said it was evil...and I laughed. The attitude reminds me of parents being angry that college professors taught liberal views along with conservative ones. They were afraid that exposure to both sides would "brainwash" their kids into turning liberal. Reading HP won't change your faith if you have faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• The Author of HP is also a Christian. She is a member of the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian).

And as for other fiction/fantasy, I see no harm in it at all. I am firm in what I believe and can enjoy differing opinions and thoughts for entertainment and personal knowledge.

I personally believe that some Christian groups go searching for reasons that ANYTHING secular/popular is "evil" even to go so far as to fabricate the wild claims. I remember subscribing to a Christian teen magazine back in HS and them declaring Hanson as being evil because "If I'm gone when you wake up" MUST be about teenaged sex. Pokemon was supposed to be evil too because they repeated "gotta catch 'em all" in the title which was supposed to serve as "brainwashing" or something stupid to that nature. Growing up as a Christian, I can't tell you how many freaking times I was told this or that was "evil"....SHEESH.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2009