beautiful birth?

when you had your baby and the nurses really dident care about you. like the whole birth thing really dident go well? if you had a midwife you would know what it mean to have a nurse "care". (but im sure there are some nice docs & nurses out there just the place that i had my first baby was ok. i feel it could have been better) anyways, there is a new hospital that opened up. its a whole new kind of care.. i have insurance but it will not cover it all. idk know how much its worth it. i had a friend go there she has 4 kids. she said she wished that hospital was there when she had her first baby. they were kind, they really helped her with her birth plan and she dident have to lay on one of those hospital beds. she had a real bed and the food was great. everyone took really great care of her and her baby.

the main qustion is. If you could have a really really nice birth would you pay the extra for it?

de_sly

Asked by de_sly at 1:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope. Call me anti-feminist but birth isn't beautiful. It's painful, it's messy and not all that much fun. Babies are beautiful, birth is.. icky.

I'd like to be in a hospital with an epidural and lots of machines. That's just my preferences though. Plus, it's only one day in your child's life. What can you provide for your child with that money?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I absolutely would pay more. I paid nothing for my first birth (medicaid) but I'm hoping for a homebirth if there is a next time. :) I'll pay out of pocket if I have to, I'm not going back to the hospital!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• oh yea when i said birth plan i mean they really let you keep with what you want. like my first one i dident want drugs at all. but the lady was rushing me and saying this and saying that and i was in pain. and they treat you like yor just next in line. but its all midwifes and they really talk to you befor hand and really help you with what "YOU" wanna do. yea my first one was free also.
    de_sly

Answer by de_sly at 1:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• In a heartbeat!!! That would be so much a more memorable and wonderful experience. When my son was born, I had to wait on the doctor for an hour for a strange and worrying situation when my husband went to smoke a cigarette, the doctor was sitting in the cafeteria eating! I would definitely love to have doctors that come in and check on me more often, nurses that offered to help to make me more comfortable. Because I was induced, I was not allowed to walk around, I was not allowed to drink water or eat any food at all. There were so many things I was not allowed to do, they were careful during the actual birth to not hurt him or me. I do appreciate them giving me my son but I would much rather have a different birth the next time.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 1:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yes, I would absolutely pay more for a midwife. And that was the plan until I met a midwife (who was one of four who would have delivered my child) and she was HORRIBLE- she made me feel stupid and inconvenient and did not listen to my questions and care to provide reasonable answers. So I went back to the Obs I really liked. The first Ob I saw after the fact told me that a lot of people switch to the hospital and complain about that birthing center.

Screwed up.

But yes, I'd happily pay a little more to have the water birth I wanted with a GOOD midwife.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• My cousin & her dh are nurses in a small hospital & are on-call 24/7 when they aren't working. You see, there aren't enough doctors & nurses. Talk about burnout. My 1st 2 deliveries weren't the greatest experiences. I choose to look on the bright side. I had a soft bed, pain meds & epidurals. My sister, on the other hand, did not. She gave birth in a hospital in South Korea. Her water broke before she went into labor. She was induced. There was no anesthesioligist in the whole province or state maybe in the whole country. She had to sleep on the floor with many other women because the beds were all taken. The dr. could hear her screaming. She was on the 3rd floor. The dr. was on the 2nd floor. The doctors & nurses hardly knew any English. When the baby was crowning, the dr. stood up & pushed my brother-in-law into the dr's spot. My brother-in-law delivered his daughter. Be thankful you had good medical care.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Yup! I'd pay any amount of money to have my baby faaaar away from the hospital and OB's. Granted, when you have an unassisted birth, there's no insane cost!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I would pay more. I didnt have insurance with my first and I payed out of pocket for all of it anyway. Now I am pregnant with my second and we do have insurance but I told my husband that I loved the hospital we went to last time so much that I was going there whether or not our insurance would cover it. We are lucky because the insurance will cover it so it worked out perfect but there is a closer hospital to us then the one I am going to but I wont go to the closer one because I have heard such horrible things.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I am paying more to have what i want. Birth doesn't have to be painful or scary it can be a wonderful experience and thats what it should be. The problem is that hospitals treat everyone the same. Birth isn't an emergency its an emergence in to the world. I don't understand why people want to have a baby in a place that is full of sickness and death.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2009